Quill stuck out.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Quill stuck out.

Post by Thomschuck »

Issue:
I :removed the quill from my Mark V headstock. I have tried to get it back in all the way. It stops, but not fully in. I get the splines in then it stops about 1” from complete retraction. I know I have a broken spring and yes you can hear the spring twang a few times when putting the quill back in. I have removed the quill before and it went right back in. What has happened?
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: Quill stuck out.

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Welcome to the forum. Are you sure the spring is broken? They frequently come off the stud. This may be part of the problem getting the quill to retract. The spring will catch on the stud/broken end and prevent the quill from being fully retracted. There is a video for repairing the quill and quill feed that may be of use to you. It can be watched at http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... rn_Pt4.htm or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn1CMcMrd_s.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Is the quill stop completely 'loose'? ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

Yes the set screw is removed. It stops one inch solid. On the spring issue. No, I do not know if it is busted or if it has popped off the tab. I pulled the quill once before, came out, went in, no problem.
NOW THIS.
I tried another quill I have. It stopped in exactelly the same spot. Does this point even closer to that funky spring issue? If so, I am thinking on having th headstock rebuilt. Thank You for any and all comments? Thanks!
Thom Schuck

SS Biscuit Cutter
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thomschuck wrote:Yes the set screw is removed. It stops one inch solid. On the spring issue. No, I do not know if it is busted or if it has popped off the tab. I pulled the quill once before, came out, went in, no problem.
NOW THIS.
I tried another quill I have. It stopped in exactelly the same spot. Does this point even closer to that funky spring issue? If so, I am thinking on having th headstock rebuilt. Thank You for any and all comments? Thanks!
I was not referring to any set screw. I was referring to the entire quill stop set of parts. Remove them all and see if it changes anything.(handle, wing nut, dial, serrated washers)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

Yes, I stripped it down. I did not pull the assembly out because I know there are washers and parts that will fall loose. Yes, the entire dial assembly has been removed.
Thank You.
Thom Schuck

SS Biscuit Cutter
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thomschuck wrote:Yes, I stripped it down. I did not pull the assembly out because I know there are washers and parts that will fall loose. Yes, the entire dial assembly has been removed.
Thank You.
OK that eliminates that as a cause.

So back to what is stopping it.

Possible culprits:

Something in the drive sleeve(not likely, but possible).

The splines binding on the coupling(ditto).

The quill body binding in the quill bore(ditto again).

The quill pinion gear not rotating(deserves much detailed examination).

The spring preventing the quill advance shaft from turning(ditto last).

A simple test with the quill entirely removed will determine if the problem is spring binding the shaft or the pinion gear not rotating. Can you rotate the shaft several turns in both directions? Yes twangs will likely occur. DO NOT FORCE it since that will likely break the spring etc.. Since I doubt you are getting any tension buildup, I suggest that you get the spring reattached to the pin on the shaft before using it again.

I really really think you need to get the spring correctly attached to the pin on the shaft. The room in the quill return body does not allow for stuff not assembled correctly. That pin will bind on / break the spring. The spring needs to be unwound slightly(4 turns) prior to inserting the quill body into the headstock bore so as to allow the spring to recoil as the quill is inserted(retracted).

Sure you wanted a different response, but that is how I see it! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

Thank you so much for the intel. I will give it a try. It is what it is...
Thank you!
Thom Schuck
Thom Schuck

SS Biscuit Cutter
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

That did the trick. I pulled the entire quill assembly in without the spring can. It slid home. However I used and old single bearing quill for install. The quill I originally two bearing quill had in the machine still will not go in? I put the single bearing back in easy as pie.
I still have the original problem of a screaming bearing. Both quills have a whine. So my conclusion is it’s not the quill bearings. Uggh! But thank you!
I made the decision to mail the headstock off for a rebuild. Like I said, between my wheelchair and weak hands, I am not the same as I was.
Now my decision is who to have it repaired. East Coast Vermont guy? Or West Coast, New Mexico guy.?
Regardless thank you for the help. Now, bed rest.
THANK YOU!
Thom Schuck
Thom Schuck

SS Biscuit Cutter
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Where are you located? I know Jacob Anderson in Virginia Beach, VA allows for people to drop off and pick up equipment with an appointment. My son had some thing done on his machine there.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router