Cracked Mark VII carriage

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ash1562
Gold Member

Cracked Mark VII carriage

Post by Ash1562 »

Hi all, I have a 60's vintage Mark VII (not a Mark 7) and the carriage cracked all the way through at the base of the tool rest when I caught a knot during turning.

Do you guys know if the Mark V and Mark 7 carriages I see on ebay and on the SS site fit the Mark VII? My analysis at the drawings tell me it does but thought to poll this audience before buying.

Thanks!
Ash
1960's vintage Shopsmith Mark VII with Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jointer
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Cracked Mark VII carriage

Post by JPG »

Sorta yes.

But the table must come along with the carriage, and you lose all the MVII stuff. Then there is the gear rack to contend with.

IIWM I would look/wait for a MVII carriage or repair what you have.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

If you can't repair your carriage or find a replacement, a member here (danimal713) said he reworked a markV carriage and table to fit on a mark VII. He might give you some info on how he did it. In case he is not monitoring this forum, his email is danimal713@aol.com.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

Ash1562 wrote:Hi all, I have a 60's vintage Mark VII (not a Mark 7) and the carriage cracked all the way through at the base of the tool rest when I caught a knot during turning.
I have a couple of spare carriages, PM me.