Bandsaw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Bandsaw

Post by Thomschuck »

YOHO!
I am working on that prickly bandsaw. I have a new ShopSmith blade. I need new guide blocks as well. Is there any order in which I should follow when installing the new blade. Should I install the new blade that I have or wait until I get my new guide blocks from ShopSmith?
The adjustment knobs for the guide blocks and wheel have a screw in the adjustment knobs. What are these screws for? I turned them both ways and saw no movement. Should these screws be tightened down? Are they part of the adjustment of the guides and rollers? The lower guide wheel spins with the blade. The upper guide wheel only touches the blade when I am pushing stock against the blade. Good? I also don’t know if I have the blade guard & drop down post properly set. It seems to have lots of play until I lock it down. Is that proper?
Thank You in advance!
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw

Post by JPG »

Thomschuck wrote:YOHO!
I am working on that prickly bandsaw. I have a new ShopSmith blade. I need new guide blocks as well. Is there any order in which I should follow when installing the new blade. Should I install the new blade that I have or wait until I get my new guide blocks from ShopSmith?I would wait
The adjustment knobs for the guide blocks and wheel have a screwSee Below in the adjustment knobs. What are these screws for? I turned them both ways and saw no movement. Should these screws be tightened down? Are they part of the adjustment of the guides and rollers? The lower guide wheel spins with the blade.Supposed to The upper guide wheel only touches the blade when I am pushing stock against the blade. Good?YES I also don’t know if I have the blade guard & drop down post properly set. It seems to have lots of play until I lock it down. Is that proper?Typical
Thank You in advance!
Not sure what screws you are referring to.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Spooner
Gold Member

Post by Spooner »

I'm with JPG 100% on the blue comments. Can you upload some pictures of the screws?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Thom,

The screw inside the adjustment knob attaches the knob to the guide assembly. It should be tight or the assembly can move with the extra "play" created by the screw being backed out. The knob moves the guide assembly closer to or farther from the blade.

You also asked
I also don’t know if I have the blade guard & drop down post properly set. It seems to have lots of play until I lock it down. Is that proper?
JPG answered, Typical

That is correct and as long as the upper guide stays in the same position when raised or lowered in relationship to the blade when locked it is correctly aligned.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:Thom,

The screw inside the adjustment knob attaches the knob to the guide assembly. It should be tight or the assembly can move with the extra "play" created by the screw being backed out. The knob moves the guide assembly closer to or farther from the blade.
. . .
He mentions knob(S) [twice] so I was not sure that was the screw he was referring to.

Good answer if he was. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Thomschuck
Gold Member

Post by Thomschuck »

Thank You all for being a huge help.
Russ you nailed it about the screws. I ordered up new guide blocks and a retrofit bearing kit. When SS ships I will do the swap/install all at once. The guide post up down travel has been adjusted to a sweet spot. Time will tell. I love this machine!
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
cham-ed
Gold Member

Post by cham-ed »

I've had more than a few problems with those screws they tended to un screw rather than adjusting the block in and out. and when I got the saw the square holes that arm of the block mounting bracket were poorly made. I spent a while with small files and stones cleaning them up so they could slide easily. I'd recommend checking the fit of them in any case.