SSUG still active?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

recurvearcher
Gold Member

SSUG still active?

Post by recurvearcher »

Has anyone else had trouble accessing the SSUG.ORG group in recent days?
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

I got in here http://www.ssug.org/index.php?option=co ... e&Itemid=1
I can't login. I tried to register, it will not let me. It keeps going back to the login screen.:confused: Maybe I am doing somthing wrong. The last post was Jan. 21 2009.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

i've been getting a blank/white page for a couple of days now.
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
dusty
Platinum Member

Ssug

Post by dusty »

I have just been in and can read what is already there but I am unable to post. I last posted there on Jan 20, 2009. AZIRONWOOD posted on Jan 21, 2009

I get a message that states, "the administrator has disabled public write access".

It also appears that the site is now being hosted by Joomla which I believe is a change.

I suspect that there are administration changes that are being made and they have not "come off" as expected.

This is why site administrators get such terrible headaches.

Patience.....

I have sent an email to Dylan (site administrator).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I used to participate on ssug occassionally, then they changed their format and I was suddenly not registered anymore. I gave up.
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

i'm still getting a blank/white page. as 8iowa said ever since they changed their software about a year ago the site has basicly died. not much happens there. ie: very few posts. another pen forum i go to has about the same thing going since they changed a few months ago also. thepenshop.net is pretty much dead now.fwiw
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Same white screen when I tried. It could be it was hacked again, that has happened several times.

The problem with the old version of software was that it took several people to try and keep out all the JUNK. And since this site has no $$ coming in from anyone except a few users they can't buy all the nice stuff that a site like this can. It is basically a one person operation and while I don't like the new format either it was that or no site at all. It is run by one person who is not doing this as a job, but, because of his passion for shopsmith. Ssug.org has been up longer then this site and I think it is nice to have several sites, I even read the yahoo one.

I don't know if anyone has contributed but since it is a lot less active then it use to be I guess this could be a funds issue... I hope not. Even this site is not necessary going to be around for ever... if it becomes to much of a financial out lay to the company... we could all be looking for some place else to roost, and I really hope this doesn't happen but.

Just a few thought.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

SSUG IS STILL ACTIVE, sorta

Post by dusty »

If you enter www.ssug.org/index you will get into the site.

You can view the site, cannot post but can email and PM. I did a PM to Dylan while there. No response yet.

I have contributed. If you are interested in doing so, you can do so via paypal.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

reible wrote:Hi,

Same white screen when I tried. It could be it was hacked again, that has happened several times.

The problem with the old version of software was that it took several people to try and keep out all the JUNK. And since this site has no $$ coming in from anyone except a few users they can't buy all the nice stuff that a site like this can. It is basically a one person operation and while I don't like the new format either it was that or no site at all. It is run by one person who is not doing this as a job, but, because of his passion for shopsmith. Ssug.org has been up longer then this site and I think it is nice to have several sites, I even read the yahoo one.

I don't know if anyone has contributed but since it is a lot less active then it use to be I guess this could be a funds issue... I hope not. Even this site is not necessary going to be around for ever... if it becomes to much of a financial out lay to the company... we could all be looking for some place else to roost, and I really hope this doesn't happen but.
Just a few thought.

Ed
I agree with Ed: I have been wondering how much longer this site will be here?
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

If the SSUG site changed Internet Service Providers(ISP), there is all kinds of havoc being created as to permissions and directory mapping. And this is probably not SSUG's fault. ISP's sell sites like commodities and most don't notify the site administrator when their site is moved from the current ISP to a new one. Sending a PM to the admin. was the right move. It will probably take a few days to straighten it out. As a former IT manager, I had this happen during a major trade show. Took two days and 32 man-hours to fix. Not to mention the lost business.