What's this for?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

KCollins
Gold Member

Re: What's this for?

Post by KCollins »

Well.. I called SS and they are going to get back to me. I will keep you posted... However can we keep this going? ARE there any other odd features on the either the SS or the spt's that accommodate things we wouldn't normally think of? I LOVED HopefullSSer's question regarding his 500 table... Thats exactly the kind of questions I had hoped would be asked in this thread.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

KCollins wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:39 am Well.. I called SS and they are going to get back to me. I will keep you posted... However can we keep this going? ARE there any other odd features on the either the SS or the spt's that accommodate things we wouldn't normally think of? I LOVED HopefullSSer's question regarding his 500 table... Thats exactly the kind of questions I had hoped would be asked in this thread.
Hope SS takes care of you. Well, I don't have any other features to explain, but I have always wondered about the two holes in the left headrest (marked in red below). Hopefully someone knows the true intent of these and can explain them. I know many use these holes to hold the SS toolkit (5/32" hex wrench) or the drill chuck key, but I assume this wasn't the original intent of those holes.

P.S. Guessing these holes were originally intended for mounting for moving, e.g. crate shipping:

viewtopic.php?p=19876
viewtopic.php?p=272367#p272367
Headrest_holes.jpg
Headrest_holes.jpg (94.36 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

A time and back saver for me is almost never using the vertical drill press mode. Instead I swing the main table 90 degrees but leave the rest of the machine horizontal. I prefer it to vertical almost always, especially if you have to change table or headstock position on the way tubes. It was one of those forehead slap things the first time. Not exactly a hidden feature: the main table has the same 0 - 90 degree useful range in both DP modes. Also works for drum sanding, routing, shaping, etc. A Rip Fence Featherboard is a useful accessory for this.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Also, many use their Mark V as an impromptu workbench, so these aren't "built-in" features but rather great capabilities added on. Lots of different options/pictures around on the forum for this. Two that I liked in particular are Ed's MFT setup and Chris's watch tinkering bench. Very useful add-ons when you have a small workshop...

Ed's MFT setup:
viewtopic.php?p=263120#p263120

Chris's Watch Tinkering Workshop:
viewtopic.php?t=23902
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I rarely raise to vertical because of shop clutter issues. The rip fence becomes the bottom support and the table becomes the horizontal positioner/backstop.... Drilling is not the only thing performed in this setup.(no no sawing!!!!)

Now about them holes. A likely carry over from model 10 thinking re a bench mount configuration rather than having integrated legs.

Then there was the Mark 1.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

KCollins,

Lots of answers about the Scales already but you asked about the hardware to attach the Shaper/Drum Sander Fence to the Main Table. Yes, the hex cap screws, washers and square nuts are included with the Kit. You can see them at the bottom of the picture in the online catalog listing (link below). The shorter pair of hex cap screws and washers seen in the picture are for attaching the Dust Collection/Vacuum Attachment to the bottom of the Table Insert. The Kit also includes a 5/16" Allen Wrench as this is one of those items that does not use the Shopsmith Toolkit aka 5/32" Allen Wrench.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... rfence.htm

I purchased the Rip Scale Upgrade Kit for what is now my Mark 7. My Mark 7 is an upgraded Mark V. My kit came just as shown in the online catalog already linked. It has the 16" Long Steel Scale and 45" Long Steel Scale. The 45" came coiled in the shipping package and I don't recall the 16" one being coiled as the box was probably long enough. There are two additional Scale lengths (38" & 9-1/2") available. I don't know when the Rip Scale Front Fence Rails were introduced. In checking the Mark 7 Instruction Manual I have dated 09/10 it has the Front Fence Rails without the magnetic strip listed which are part number 518488 the same as the Front Fence Rails listed in my Mark V 520 Manual dated 3/99. The current part number for the Front Fence Rail is 522371 for both the Mark 7 and Mark V 520. The part number in the Rip Scale Upgrade Kit is 522298 (522377 for pre 1986 510/505 Main Tables) for the Main Table Front Rail. Seeing the difference in the part numbers from the Rip Scale Upgrade Kit and the current Front Main Table Rail did Shopsmith discontinue the Rip Scale as standard on a new Mark 7?

The holes in the base of the Headrest, as understand it, is a place to store the Shopsmith Toolkit aka Allen Wrench and the Drill Chuck Key. Not having received a Mark series tool new I don't know if the holes were used for shipping purposes. The Mark V 520 I received from my father-in-law was assembled at the Shopsmith Factory Store in Tigard OR before he picked it up.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:10 pm The holes in the base of the Headrest, as understand it, is a place to store the Shopsmith Toolkit aka Allen Wrench and the Drill Chuck Key. Not having received a Mark series tool new I don't know if the holes were used for shipping purposes. The Mark V 520 I received from my father-in-law was assembled at the Shopsmith Factory Store in Tigard OR before he picked it up.
Russ,

Thanks. Yeah, this is what I always thought too, but then to answer my own question I went searching the forum this morning and found the document linked below. In figure 3 they show it being used to attach the Mark V to a pallet for shipment and the text describes this as well. I never knew this...seems like the tool storage is a secondary feature for these holes and a "bonus"!!!

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/pro ... ipping.pdf
📶RF Guy

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well! That certainly makes much more sense!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:34 pm Well! That certainly makes much more sense!!!!
I know, right? Those two holes definitely look very purposeful, which I guess is why they make indentations there beside each hole for more structural support perhaps for this function? Wouldn't need those if just making 2 holes for holding hex wrenches. There is so much knowledge tucked away on this forum. I know I have only been here a short time, but I have only respect for the many that have come before me on this forum. Thank you all!!!

P.S. Credit for this little nugget about those two holes goes to a forum member named charlese back in 2008:

viewtopic.php?p=19876
📶RF Guy

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Charlese RIP!

I miss thee.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝