Shopsmith Christmas catalog

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Christmas catalog

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I got my Shopsmith Christmas catalog in the mail yesterday. Interesting to note that they are now carrying the Excalibur scroll saw.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Christmas catalog

Post by rlkeeney »

The new Excalibur scroll saws are made in China and have issues.

I'm currently in the market for a new scroll saw. The one at the top of my list is Pegas.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

rlkeeney wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:57 am The new Excalibur scroll saws are made in China and have issues.

I'm currently in the market for a new scroll saw. The one at the top of my list is Pegas.
Robert,

Interesting. I didn't realize that Excalibur had moved their manufacturing. Below is some more info on it and why their saws manufactured in China are not as good. Thanks for pointing this out. I believe Pegas saws are manufactured in Taiwan so they should definitely be an improvement.

Excerpt from: https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/scr ... libur-saws
"When Excalibur moved from Canada to Taiwan, they brought the tooling with them and engineers helped them set everything up. That's why the saws coming from Taiwan were the same quality as the saws coming from Canada. When they moved to China, they had none of that."
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Seyco is also a good choice if you don't need to tilt to 45 degrees. Making bowls you might need this.
Seyco's support is top-notch. I just got off the phone with Ray Seymore ( the owner ) getting a bit of tech support for a broken saw. They carry parts for their Seyco saw, Excalibur and Pegas. If you have one of the Chinese saws they can help you with that too.

https://www.seyco.com/
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I just got a new old stock 2007 Excalibur scroll saw. From my research, the Jet, Pegas and Seyco are made in the same factory in Taiwan that used to make the Excalibur.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

thunderbirdbat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:46 am I just got a new old stock 2007 Excalibur scroll saw. From my research, the Jet, Pegas and Seyco are made in the same factory in Taiwan that used to make the Excalibur.
That sounds right. Some of the features on the Seyco are different but the guts are pretty much the same. The Jet has some issues with the blade clamps that should be looked into if you are considering buying a Jet.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

rlkeeney wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:59 am The Jet has some issues with the blade clamps that should be looked into if you are considering buying a Jet.
I was considering the Jet before I found the NOS Excalibur. Pegas makes aftermarket blade clamps for at least the Jet, Excalibur, DeWalt, and Seyco. From what I understand you can replace either just the problem bottom clamp on the Jet or both.
Brenda

1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

thunderbirdbat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:11 pm Pegas makes aftermarket blade clamps for at least the Jet, Excalibur, DeWalt, and Seyco. From what I understand you can replace either just the problem bottom clamp on the Jet or both.
I have Pegas clamps on my EX21. I highly recommend them. You can buy them at https://www.artcraftersonline.com/. Art Crafters is also a good place to buy blades. I have purchased about ten gross from Denny.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory