Jointer Outfeed Extension Table

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bobwilley
Silver Member

Post by bobwilley »

I saw a video that Nick Engler did about the jointer and in it he showed an extension to the outfeed table he had fabricated.
I have searched thru all the Saw Dust Sessions and the video tips and I can not find it again.
Can anyone remember seeing this video?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bobwilley wrote:I saw a video that Nick Engler did about the jointer and in it he showed an extension to the outfeed table he had fabricated.
I have searched thru all the Saw Dust Sessions and the video tips and I can not find it again.
Yes, I remember it. In fact, I thought I had saved PDFs from that session but I have been unable to locate them. I'll keep looking.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

bobwilley wrote:I saw a video that Nick Engler did about the jointer and in it he showed an extension to the outfeed table he had fabricated.
Nick showed me an outfeed table extension on the joiner in the training area while at the Owner's meeting last July. That joiner's outfeed table had a extension/lip sticking forward about 1/2" out and 3/4" down from the outfeed table top. All the joiner outfeed tables I have seen do not have this lip so I added a 1/2"X1/2"X4" "L" bracket by drilling and bolting it on the front of the outfeed table. I made the outfeed table extension 2' long as I did not take any measurements. This outfeed table extension was attached to an extended auxiliary fence at 90 deg. and had a fixed leg to support it. At that time, there was no plans or videos available. I used 3/4" plywood for the outfeed table and auxiliary fence with very thin shims for final adjustment.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxAd-t2VBV0

It was a sawdust tip on you tube. the url is above.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Thank you very much Jim! I had missed those videos!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
bobwilley
Silver Member

Post by bobwilley »

kd6vpe wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxAd-t2VBV0

It was a sawdust tip on you tube. the url is above.
Jim,
Thanks for the reference.

Bob Willey
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Bob:

I was also in attendance at the Shopsmith July week-end. I saw Nick's jointer outfeed extension and made a rather detailed sketch of it. Nick said that it would be OK to make a copy strickly for my own use, but that Shopsmith was considering adding this product to their line. Since this was Nick's invention, I felt uncomfortable with this, so I have destroyed the sketch.

That being said, I have purchased Rockler's Heavy Duty Roller Stand (#43399). I place this stand about two feet out from the outfeed table and zero it level with a 50" Veritas aluminum straightedge. This does a great job of jointing long boards.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

8iowa wrote:Bob:

I was also in attendance at the Shopsmith July week-end. I saw Nick's jointer outfeed extension and made a rather detailed sketch of it. Nick said that it would be OK to make a copy strickly for my own use, but that Shopsmith was considering adding this product to their line. Since this was Nick's invention, I felt uncomfortable with this, so I have destroyed the sketch.

That being said, I have purchased Rockler's Heavy Duty Roller Stand (#43399). I place this stand about two feet out from the outfeed table and zero it level with a 50" Veritas aluminum straightedge. This does a great job of jointing long boards.
Based on this post, I would conclude that (in your opinion) my outfeed table is a violation of copyright laws. Even though my table existed before Nick's presentation on the forum, it is remarkably similar.

But then what would any outfeed table that rides up and down with the main table and uses no adjustable support leg look like.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
myoldgarage
Gold Member

Post by myoldgarage »

I just found that Youtube video with the Jointer extension just the other day -- wow. That's pretty slick! I'm going to make one just as soon as I figure out how to change my nicked blades and sharpen them.
Bradley Miller
Blue Springs, MO - LumberJocks / MyOldGarage
Grandpa's old SS Model 500 - (1985)
New(er) - SS Model 510 / Ringmaster / Lots of goodies
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Dusty:

Since I had made a detailed and measured sketch of Nick's jointer outfeed table, there very well could be copyright considerations. My decision to destroy the sketch, based on my level of "discomfort" was of course my personal decision.

Perhaps Nick should make up plans for this accessory and sell them separately, or include the plans in a future "V" book.