Any way to convert 1/4 router to 1/2 router?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sawdustman
Bronze Member

Any way to convert 1/4 router to 1/2 router?

Post by sawdustman »

The other day I took advantage of a sale at Rockler's and purchased a dovetail machine. It came with 1/2 inch router bits and all of the routers I own have 1/4 inch chucks. Is there something I can purchase that will let me convert the 1/4 inch chuck to hold a 1/2 inch router bit? I've got too many of the 1/4 inch routers to justify purchasing yet another one. If you know of what I can do, please let me know what I need and who sells it.

Thanks,

Sawdustman
East Texas
dvk53
Bronze Member

Post by dvk53 »

I have read that you can get an insert for the chuck, but I don't know where you can get it. I would check with Rockler.

DK
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I have seen this question on other forums and the answer has always been no they don't make such a thing. Sorry.

However you might check to see if they sell a bit in the smaller shank that has the same critical dimensions.

Or maybe it is time to get a router that can use the 1/4" shank bits and one that uses the 1/2". The newest "deal, no deal" mailing from Rockler had a Hitachi combo kit for a good price (I have 3 of these already or I might have gone for the deal). BTW you can not have too many routers... I have 10 so far and that is not a bit over kill for router users.

Ed
robrmcc
Bronze Member

Post by robrmcc »

You might want to check the site below. They have a lot of router stuff although I have not seen a 1/4 to 1/2 inch adapter.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/search.asp?ss=collets
Rob McC
sawdustman
Bronze Member

Post by sawdustman »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was afraid that the answer is that they don't make one and I'm feeling that's just it. Guess I'm going to have to get me a 1/2 inch router for my birthday coming up. On second thought that's not until September. Well, I'll probably buy it before then. Ha Ha

Sawdustman
East Texas
martinjrichter

Post by martinjrichter »

Your problem is you need a 1/2 inch collette. Check with the manufactures of your other machines to see if they sell 1/2 inch collette for your model. The collette shouldn't be that expensive if they make them.
justwoodworking

Router bit size

Post by justwoodworking »

Router design makes it impossible to convert a router made for only 1/4" bits to using 1/2" bits since the collet is max size at 1/4". Most, maybe all, 1/2" routers include a 1/4 converter, and I have one that also included a 3/8" shank converter, because there is no problem in inserting these smaller converters into a LARGER collet. Even some of the older 1/2" routers were sold with these converters--which is why I jumped on getting one rather than even looking at routers that are limited to 1/4" only. I do have a small one for, obviously, smaller work/hand-held operations.
fjimp
Platinum Member

1/2" Router and Smalleer Chucks

Post by fjimp »

I recently purchased a 1/2 Porter Cable Model 890 router. Then found 1/4" and 3/8" chucks for it online online. It works great with my SS router table. Mine came with both standard and plunge base. I love it. Jim P.
dusty
Platinum Member

Convert 1/4 router to 1/2

Post by dusty »

sawdustman

Offload your excess routers to reible who says one can ever have too many routers and then you can go buy your own 1/2 router.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

For some of you it may seem like a lot of routers but I can see having even more then I do... I only have 10 routers and 8 tables so as you can see that is not really very many.

Norm has the right idea, one bit one router... Some years back I heard that he had 56-58 (if I remember correctly). The router workshop guys are in the 50 plus range.

I do plan to add one more router before next summer... (A Trend T3 which seems to be the only small plunge router in my price range).

Now some of you might want to print this out and use it as proof that you too should be able to buy another router... feel free to do so. Just don't mention that the routers are the cheap part of the deal... a couple of bit sets and the router cost is nothing.... think about it, say you have 50 bits and they average $20 a bit, that is $1000.00 in bits alone. So what is the big deal about spend $150 on another router??? Yea think about having a set of 150 good router bits that is only $3000...

Ed