Tired of Being Ignored

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

seajay62
Gold Member

Re: Tired of Being Ignored

Post by seajay62 »

My thanks to those of you who provided input. They provided me with a reason to re-think my attitude towards the woodworking magazines and realize what's happening. I know and appreciate the capabilities of my Shopsmith machines. I have a 510 purchased in 1984 that has been upgraded over the years to a Mark 7 with a PowerPro headstock, a dedicated drill press, and a Shop Deputy set up as a dedicated sanding station, plus other tools. They are in my one car garage shop and it's a bit crowded, but it's a place I enjoy myself. I can be creative and make things to make others happy.

I get frustrated when I hear people who really don't know enough about the Shopsmith make negative remarks and dissuade new woodworkers from checking out the Shopsmith. I also recognize that people can have different opinions, needs, and justifications for their choices. I just would like for woodworkers to have good information to make their choices. Selfishly, I want to see Shopsmith thrive because it benefits us the current owners. I want Shopsmith to be able to continue to support us both with parts and innovations.

RF Guy - point taken about manufacturers providing equipment for reviews. Also, I believe the last article about the Shopsmith was in Popular Woodworking, By Glen D. Huey Posted March 22, 2011 In Shop Blog, Tools. The link to the post is:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/tool ... shopsmith/

It would be nice to have some good reviews out there, but I don't know how to get it accomplished. Shopsmith's Marketing Department has to work that issue.

As for information about Shoosmiths, I recognize that useful information can be found on various YouTube channels. Two of my favorites are Scott from "My Growth Rings" and Michael from "Today's Shopsmith". And a newcomer, Tom, from "woodshop nerdery". There are others that are quite good but new woodworkers need to search them out.

Of course, there is this forum and all of you who participate and provide interesting questions and answers. This forum is a great source of positive information and somehow the new woodworker looking for advice should become aware of this service.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

seajay62 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:46 am My thanks to those of you who provided input. They provided me with a reason to re-think my attitude towards the woodworking magazines and realize what's happening. I know and appreciate the capabilities of my Shopsmith machines. I have a 510 purchased in 1984 that has been upgraded over the years to a Mark 7 with a PowerPro headstock, a dedicated drill press, and a Shop Deputy set up as a dedicated sanding station, plus other tools. They are in my one car garage shop and it's a bit crowded, but it's a place I enjoy myself. I can be creative and make things to make others happy.

I get frustrated when I hear people who really don't know enough about the Shopsmith make negative remarks and dissuade new woodworkers from checking out the Shopsmith. I also recognize that people can have different opinions, needs, and justifications for their choices. I just would like for woodworkers to have good information to make their choices. Selfishly, I want to see Shopsmith thrive because it benefits us the current owners. I want Shopsmith to be able to continue to support us both with parts and innovations.
I certainly empathize with you on the small shop aspect as I have been working in a one car garage size space for a couple of decades now. Even when I started in my Dad's workshop as a kid, he only has a 12' x 18' wood shop which I helped him build by hand. He has a 510 in it still and I bought a 510 that I converted to a 520 in my one car garage shop. There are many areas where I believe Shopsmith excels and I love it, but I am also not afraid to speak up when there are areas where I wish Shopsmith would improve or where it falls short. For me, I have found a better balance as a woodworker in my small shop by embracing a few select other tools. I chose Festool to complement my 520, but they are expensive and there are cheaper alternatives. By embracing a tracksaw and for example the Domino, I am much more productive in my small shop and I have found the two platforms (Shopsmith and Festool) can complement each other nicely. This lets me more thoroughly enjoy each for certain tasks in my shop and in the end this makes me a happier woodworker. I know it may seem like a strange marriage, i.e. Shopsmith and Festool tools together in one shop, but it works well for me. So, my point to everyone is to find what works best for them. Some have a shop full of primarily Shopsmith equipment and are very happy. I tried this for a long time in my small one car garage workshop, but in recent years I found that I am happiest working this new way in my shop. I once tallied it up and I think I have spent over $10k on my 520 and all of its accessories, etc. having purchased all new from Shopsmith. Given this commitment to Shopsmith over the years, I think I have earned a little leeway in telling it like it is, or at least from my particular unique perspective. I try to voice my support for them as much as I might also complain a little ;) about areas of improvement on this forum. I try to balance it and be as honest and direct as I can on this forum. In the end, I hope my viewpoint helps others who own or hope to own Shopsmith equipment. Purchased new, it is an expensive investment as I know firsthand.

P.S. Below is a past thread where I talked a little about how I found adding Festool equipment to my shop made me a happier Shopsmith owner and woodworker.
viewtopic.php?p=305202#p305202
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

A magazine's reason for existing is to sell advertising.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

rlkeeney wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:35 am A magazine's reason for existing is to sell advertising.
My day job tasked me with researching available magazine support software, and I quickly realized that the off-the-shelf solutions are primarily focused on managing advertising opportunities.
Mark V 500 upgraded to 520
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
Bosch 1617EVS & Router Table
Craftsman 351.23371 Planer
Performax 16-32 Thickness Sander (finally tracking right!)
...and a growing collection of traditional hand tools.