Am I missing any valid reasons to opt for a traditional drill press instead?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

HaroldWade
Bronze Member

Am I missing any valid reasons to opt for a traditional drill press instead?

Post by HaroldWade »

Recently, I constructed the folding, tilting, self-raising outfeed tables demonstrated by Nick in one of the Sawdust Sessions. It functions wonderfully, and I find it highly useful, which is why I use it frequently. However, the fact that it is installed on my Mark V means I have to remove it whenever I want to switch to drill press mode. Consequently, I've decided to purchase a dedicated drill press. Upon exploring the available options, it seems like a no-brainer to acquire a 10er and build a compact pedestal base for it. I have a fondness for vintage tools, and in my area, old models like Delta/Rockwell, Walker-Turner, or Craftsman 150 drill presses are either similarly priced or even double the cost of a well-maintained 10er that comes with a speed changer. Am I missing any valid reasons to opt for a traditional drill press instead?
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Am I missing any valid reasons to opt for a traditional drill press instead?

Post by DLB »

I keep a traditional DP around mainly because I prefer it for metal work over a Mark. The main virtues are slow rotational speed and a relatively solid table surface. There are downsides, of course, and the Mark is much better for woodworking.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Am I missing any valid reasons to opt for a traditional drill press instead?

Post by edma194 »

I turned a Greenie into a dedicated drill press using the legs for a stand as seen in this thread. Pictures of other Shopsmiths converted to drill presses are shown and there are other threads on the subject. I now have a PowerPro head on it for lower speeds and continue to add modifications for more flexibility.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DarrenDD
Gold Member

Post by DarrenDD »

A model 10 makes a fantastic dedicated drill press as well as a dedicated sanding station.

ECFF6935-876A-44B2-B94D-271D73C4D3C6.jpeg
ECFF6935-876A-44B2-B94D-271D73C4D3C6.jpeg (614.42 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
169A491B-53C8-48E3-83F0-91E9C69D12BA.jpeg
169A491B-53C8-48E3-83F0-91E9C69D12BA.jpeg (526.13 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

YEP! All one needs is a couple of very rare spt adapters for a M10.

OR

Make one a sanding station from a very short M5/V
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

HaroldWade,

There were around 150,000 Model 10E and 10ER Shopsmith's made beginning in 1947 through 1953. They and parts are still easily found. I don't think you can say that about other company's tools. As you said
I have a fondness for vintage tools, and in my area, old models like Delta/Rockwell, Walker-Turner, or Craftsman 150 drill presses are either similarly priced or even double the cost of a well-maintained 10er that comes with a speed changer.
If you find one in your area as you described, I would say go for it. Model 10's make a great Drill Press.

As for DarrenDD's Sanding Station it is a beautiful looking tool but as JPG said
YEP! All one needs is a couple of very rare spt adapters for a M10.
JPG is referring to the green mounting bracket aka the Power Mount Adapter "A" and the special Headstock Pulley with the Power Coupler Hub molded on. As noted, these are rare items for the Model 10's actually made for them after they were out of production to use the SPT made for the Mark 5.

EDIT:

DarrenDD is actually using two of the Power Mount Adapter "A" brackets. The second one is for the Extension Table.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

That is a beautiful sanding station!!! I tried to find a 10E/ER in my area for a while but could never find one either for the right price to fix up and/or in decent condition. I really wanted to have one as a dedicated, mounted on the wall drill press, but I must say that dedicated sanding station is impressive. If only I had more floor space in my small shop to accommodate one... :(

IF you can get a 10E/ER in your area that is of appropriate quality/condition, I would NOT hesitate to go for it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I have two dedicated drill presses. My first one was purchased for drilling steel. I don't use my Shopsmith for drilling metal. The second one was purchased, used, refurbished, and set up to drill tiny holes for scroll saw projects. My Shopsmith is used for horizontal drilling in wood only. I don't recall the last time I had my Shopsmith in the vertical position.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory