Help selling a 10 ER

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bobbi
Bronze Member

Help selling a 10 ER

Post by bobbi »

I have a 10 ER that belonged to my Dad, purchased in the mid 1950s. I need to get it out of the Garage and I'm looking for suggestions
on how/where best to sell it. I'm in Southern California (Orange County) and I've posted it on Facebook and Craigslist for several surrounding counties and nothing yet.

It's in pretty good shape but missing the saw arbor. I've also got a speed changer which I removed since the bearing is a bit tight. I was planning to sell this separately since I understand these are kind of rare and easy to ship.

I have the 10 ER offered for $225 obo.

Any Thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

bob
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Help selling a 10 ER

Post by DLB »

I'm going to tell you what you probably don't want to hear. Southern Cal is a buyers market on used Shopsmith equipment and has been for a long time. And $225 for a used Model 10 with no speed changer is a comparatively high price. IIWM I'd lower the price and see if that generates interest. Your machine appears to be in above average condition and I'm sure you are reaching the right audience between FB Marketplace and CL. Alternatively you might include the speed changer, either refurbished or with notes as to its condition. I don't think I would use the term 'rare' to describe a speed changer, but they are a valuable component. And most buyers would know this.

- David
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

An expression I’ve always used to describe any of the older Shopsmith models is the at they’re generally worth less than the sum of the the parts - in other words, selling components can often net more than you could get selling the machine as a whole.

I also recommend people really look hard at their local market for machine sales. It’s not enough to just look at what are probably inflated asking prices, but you need to understand what are machines actually selling for. Also, demand may change over time, so if you need to move it now, you’re not likely going to get top dollar. If you can wait for a bit, more interested buyers will come along, and you won’t need to be so aggressive on the discount.

All in all, a plain 10ER without a speed changer won’t likely command more than $50-100. I do hope you find it a good home - great machines!
John Dalton
Massachusetts
1948 10E, S/N 5052 (restored)
1950 10ER, S/N 26473 (restored)
1952 10ER, S/N 51721 (restored as dedicated drill press)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263334 (functionally restored)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263705 (restored/PowerPro)
c1959 Mark 2, S/N 81940 (undergoing restoration)
bobbi
Bronze Member

Post by bobbi »

DLB wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:05 am I'm going to tell you what you probably don't want to hear. Southern Cal is a buyers market on used Shopsmith equipment and has been for a long time. And $225 for a used Model 10 with no speed changer is a comparatively high price. IIWM I'd lower the price and see if that generates interest. Your machine appears to be in above average condition and I'm sure you are reaching the right audience between FB Marketplace and CL. Alternatively you might include the speed changer, either refurbished or with notes as to its condition. I don't think I would use the term 'rare' to describe a speed changer, but they are a valuable component. And most buyers would know this.

- David
This is great advice and great intel on the Market in So. Calif. I was not aware that it is indeed a buyers market.

Thanks very much David. I will refigure my approach.

bob
bobbi
Bronze Member

Post by bobbi »

jpdalton wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:02 pm An expression I’ve always used to describe any of the older Shopsmith models is the at they’re generally worth less than the sum of the the parts - in other words, selling components can often net more than you could get selling the machine as a whole.

I also recommend people really look hard at their local market for machine sales. It’s not enough to just look at what are probably inflated asking prices, but you need to understand what are machines actually selling for. Also, demand may change over time, so if you need to move it now, you’re not likely going to get top dollar. If you can wait for a bit, more interested buyers will come along, and you won’t need to be so aggressive on the discount.

All in all, a plain 10ER without a speed changer won’t likely command more than $50-100. I do hope you find it a good home - great machines!
Also great information and advice thanks very much. I was pretty sure posting on this site/board would be helpful.

You guys are great.

bob