Greenie Paint

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rbenstead
Gold Member

Greenie Paint

Post by rbenstead »

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. For over 35 years I dreamed of having a ShopSmith and about a month ago I bought a 510 from a guy with Bandsaw,Jointer,Belt sander,Strip sander,Stand alone ShopSmith Planer,Scroll saw Dust collection.and lots of other goodies to many to mention.All for about $1500 invested. I bought the 520 upgrade. Now I can get ready to study,learn and enjoy this machinery marvel.
Now, to my question, I have a chance to buy a working Greenie and jointer for $100.00. The gentleman sent me many pictures and for the most part it looks to be in good shape. Typical condition for being 50 yrs old.I was thinking about making this a restoration project. What paint and where is it available that is used. I also noticed that the bottom tubes are green.Same color as the base. Is this possible? I am going to stop by and look it over first.It is only 60 miles away.My plan is to restore it and use it as a second power source for maybe the scroll saw, band saw ect. But I wanted some input and introduce myself to the forum.
mikelst
Gold Member

Don't do it.

Post by mikelst »

Under no circumstances should you spend $100.00 on this system.:rolleyes: You should send me the address so I can get it and have it to play with.

Seriously tho...
If you are comfortable working with your hands you can go through the Greenie and clean it up for use with a little effort. But... this becomes addictive and you may end up working more on ShopSmith's than wood.:D

You can probably clean up both systems (ShopSmith and Jointer) than sell the Jointer and be close to getting the SS for free.

The guys on this forum are are a great source of information and help with working through any problems you may run into.

Welcome and good luck.

Have fun
Mike
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
rbenstead
Gold Member

Thanks for the welcome Mike

Post by rbenstead »

Depending on the outcome of the restoration, I was thinking about going the mini route too.Pro's or Con's on that! I just got off the phone with the seller.I am going to look/buy it Monday night. I'm on call this weekend for work so I can't get away until then.Will my SPT fit on the Greenie?
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

All the spt's will fit all the MK 5's that I know of. Some things like the mortise unit require that it be purchased for a model 500 or a 505 or newer due to the table mounting differances. But if it goes onto the headrest it should work on any MK 5. I think the only SPT that might be an issue would be the planer, and that would be a power issue from the 3/4 hp motor the greenie will likely have. You stated yours is a stand alone unit so that isn't an issue for you.

If I am mistaken someone else please speak up so that rbenstead isn't misled by me.

Good luck

Mike
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

rbenstead wrote:Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. For over 35 years.................[For a greenie] What paint and where is it available that is used.

Rustoleum Hammered finish Verde Green and Silver are the closest you'll get in a rattle can. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware. Depending on your area, may have to check a few for the Verde Green.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachment.htm?attachmentid=3562&d=1237363374
Mike
Sunny San Diego
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

If you have a Fastenal distributor nearby, they can order the paint for you - lots cheaper than when I priced at Home Depot. Been a couple of years since I repainted my first Greenie, but if memory serves, it took one can of silver and three 1/2 cans of green.

Mike - does that sound right to you?

Hammered Rustoleum leaves a nice finish, read the earlier link on getting the best "hammered" look.

Just picked up a 1955 that will need a total resto. Posting pics in a few minutes.

Enjoy your project!
Matt
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

thainglo wrote:If you have ............... Been a couple of years since I repainted my first Greenie, but if memory serves, it took one can of silver and three 1/2 cans of green.

Mike - does that sound right to you?

.........Matt

Your correct on the amount of rattle cans Matt. I used 4 Verde Greens because of the # of test sprays I did to get the texture the way I wanted.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

Yea, three and a half cans of green and a little less than a can of silver sounds about right.:) I used the green on my jointer too but it still took over three with just the ShopSmith.:cool: I think some have said the Verde Green paint needs to go on heavy so you may use a bit more of that.

Good luck with this.

Mike
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

mikelst wrote:Yea, three and a half cans of green and a little less than a can of silver sounds about right.:) I used the green on my jointer too but it still took over three with just the ShopSmith.:cool: I think some have said the Verde Green paint needs to go on heavy so you may use a bit more of that.

Good luck with this.

Mike

I applied both silver and Verde equally for spray thickness. Tough to say whether I put mine on 'heavy' since it is a subjective attribute. My traverse speed was about 1 foot per second.
Mike
Sunny San Diego