perforated hardboard storage ideas

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Gene Howe
Platinum Member

perforated hardboard storage ideas

Post by Gene Howe »

Does anyone have any ideas, plans...etc for 8"-10" deep wall mounted cabinets
utilizing "peg board"?
Thanks, folks.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
dlbristol
Platinum Member

shop in a box

Post by dlbristol »

Gene, Here is a picture of one I did. I was unable to get the site to link, but if you google Wood Magizine, go to the index button and it is on that page. Oct 2006 I think. It is under "Shop in a Box". I made it from recycled plywood and salvaged peg board. Two suggestions to modify the plan. One make the doors about 1/4 in smaller than they suggest. They are tight and when I had other errors in the case, they were tough to open. Secondly, I used some salvaged peg board that is 1/4 ( I think, but thicker that regular stuff) for all but one door. I ran out of it, so I got some thinner board for that door. The difference in the stiffness of the doors is very apparent. I have to keep lighter stuff on that one door.
If I could not find the thicker peg board, I would put some type of spacer glued to both the inside and outside peg board.
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Gene

I once built some storage cabinets for a garage and used peg board for the panels in the doors. They had storage behind the doors but could hang things from the doors themselves on both the inside or outside. It worked well but looked a little cluttered for my taste. Of course they did a terrible job of organizing so that added to the look.

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:Gene

I once built some storage cabinets for a garage and used peg board for the panels in the doors. They had storage behind the doors but could hang things from the doors themselves on both the inside or outside. It worked well but looked a little cluttered for my taste. Of course they did a terrible job of organizing so that added to the look.

I always get a chuckle out of magazine articles where they talk about some tool panel above a bench eliminating "clutter". Then they show a picture of a tool panel and it has less than a dozen tools on it. They usually are in a wood shop and the tools consist of a hand saw, a square, a C clamp a hammer, a hack saw, a pipe wrench a garden trowel and a garden hose nozzle... :rolleyes:
This shot from my old shop is a "tool panel". :D
http://picasaweb.google.com/robinson46176/WoodShop#5325281153042619090
http://picasaweb.google.com/robinson46176/WoodShop#5340913588641699346
-
My wife owns more tools than what some of those magazines call "clutter". :)
-
I love "Wood" and "Woodworkers Journal" but some of the shop mags I pickup and flip through are really feeble...
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
regnar
Gold Member

Post by regnar »

I think someone has a hammer and drill fetish......:D
"Sua Sponte"
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

Some years ago I got plans at a shopsmith demo for a 'workbench on the wall'. This consists of a cabinet that is about 4'x3'x11" and a workbench that folds down flat to the wall when not in use The cabinet was framed with 1x6 that was rabbited to let you insert perf board about 1/2" in from the back and the doors (also 1x6) about 1/2" in from the front.
You may still be able to get the plans from Shopsmith.
I built it in my garage and used it for a couple of years. I like it quit well, but when we made the garage conversion I lost it. I did cut the cabinet down and mounted the pegboards on the 'new' shop (old shed) walls.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

[quote="robinson46176"]This shot from my old shop is a "tool panel".

Yep! Thats a cluttered up mess to be proud of.:D

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

robinson46176 wrote:I always get a chuckle out of magazine articles where they talk about some tool panel above a bench eliminating "clutter". Then they show a picture of a tool panel and it has less than a dozen tools on it. They usually are in a wood shop and the tools consist of a hand saw, a square, a C clamp a hammer, a hack saw, a pipe wrench a garden trowel and a garden hose nozzle... :rolleyes:

-
My wife owns more tools than what some of those magazines call "clutter". :)
-
I love "Wood" and "Woodworkers Journal" but some of the shop mags I pickup and flip through are really feeble...
Francis,
I couldn't agree more. My dad and I had a similar conversation about an article in some forgotten woodworking magazine. The decorative cabinet with its sparse array of artistically arranged tools wasn't worth the wall space it occupied.

Just remember... It's not clutter... It's efficient use of space!

A view of my old 9' x 7' shop. Everything in reach. :D

Troy

[ATTACH]5732[/ATTACH]
Attachments
kingdom.jpg
kingdom.jpg (54.02 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

How do you get a partial quote and still have it remain in the white quote box? When I try it turns to regular gray.

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

dlbristol wrote:Gene, Here is a picture of one I did.
Thank you!! Exactly what I was looking for. I ordered the plans. I will be modifying them some what. Thanks for the tips, too.

Farmer, I'm surprised at the neatness of your shop. Do you need a few more hammers? :D

Gene
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton