Suggestions for sanding disc

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hobbydad
Gold Member

Suggestions for sanding disc

Post by hobbydad »

The sanding disc I received with my SS has velcro on it. When I ordered an assortment of sandpaper, I accidentally got the PSA ones :o

I'm looking for suggestions about whether to keep the velcro and try to get velcro-backed sandpaper, or to just remove the velcro and use my PSA discs. It looks like the velcro-backed sandpaper is not in stock. How much of a pain is it to remove PSA sandpaper when I want to switch grits? Can I save the PSA paper after I have removed it? Also, what would be the best way to remove the velcro if I decided to go that route? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Loren
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Just get another disk for the PSA and the Velcro sandpaper. SOME people have luck removing the PSA and reusing it, most do knot.

I just checked and the sanding package is on sale till tomorrow night.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
regnar
Gold Member

Post by regnar »

I sent you a PM.
"Sua Sponte"
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

hobbydad wrote:The sanding disc I received with my SS has velcro on it. When I ordered an assortment of sandpaper, I accidentally got the PSA ones :o

I'm looking for suggestions about whether to keep the velcro and try to get velcro-backed sandpaper, or to just remove the velcro and use my PSA discs. It looks like the velcro-backed sandpaper is not in stock. How much of a pain is it to remove PSA sandpaper when I want to switch grits? Can I save the PSA paper after I have removed it? Also, what would be the best way to remove the velcro if I decided to go that route? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Loren
Hi Loren,

I have 3 flat disks and three conical disks. Two of the flat disks are for the two cloth backed sharpening disks and the third is for the Velcro system. The three conical disks are for each of the 3 grits available for them. It is initially more expensive but saves loads of time and I do knot have to worry about trying to save a sanding disk when I want to change grit. I really like my velcro system; one (metal) disk for all (3 grits) the re-usable sandpaper disks.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I have two flat discs, and just ordered the SS kit with 2 additional discs. One is set up for velcro. I find the velcro disc my favorite way to shape and size smaller pieces of wood. By far quicker to set up and change grit than sleeves. There are a few sources besides SS that sell 12" velcro backed discs besides SS. Woodworkers supply is one, there are others.
I like the PSA paper for taking off material when I want to be aggressive. I started using the PSA disc for sharpening, but with only one grit I am a bit disappointed. After watching Nick's video clip on sharpening, I anxiously waited for a sale and ordered additional discs. Now I can set up a disc with 220 and finer paper.
I only have one conical disc, but that works for me for planing.
I certainly would not give up the velcro disc, rather do some surfing and find paper that will fit your needs. If you like real course, you could always cut down a 15" disc from floor sanders.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Received my additional discs from SS, and just found this link for finer 12 inch paper. In case your still looking.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/ ... Dsc=312P12
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

kalynzoo wrote:Received my additional discs from SS, and just found this link for finer 12 inch paper. In case your still looking.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/ ... Dsc=312P12
I think this is the link you were looking for : Go Here

Here's another place that sells the PSA 12" discs in 60 grit to 220 : Go Here

If you don't mind buying something from an aussie store here's a place for the velcro ones but I think the SS ones are cheaper : Go here
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)