Jigsaw Oil

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thainglo
Gold Member

Jigsaw Oil

Post by thainglo »

All - I'm having trouble finding straight SAE 10 oil for the crankcase in my old SS jigsaw. Anyone used plain 10W30? I've got a quart of SAE 30 ND also, if that would work better.

Thanks for any advice!
Matt
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

thainglo wrote:All - I'm having trouble finding straight SAE 10 oil for the crankcase in my old SS jigsaw. Anyone used plain 10W30? I've got a quart of SAE 30 ND also, if that would work better.

Thanks for any advice!
Matt
Hopefully jpg can help you out. He recently filled his jigsaw so as long as he stuck to the book, he should be able to advise you where he got SAE 10 oil.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

thainglo wrote:All - I'm having trouble finding straight SAE 10 oil for the crankcase in my old SS jigsaw. Anyone used plain 10W30? I've got a quart of SAE 30 ND also, if that would work better.

Thanks for any advice!
Matt
WHERE have ya looked?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Thanks for any advice!
Matt
McMaster Carr sells it by the gallon for around $20. If it's too hard to find, which I think it may be, we can get 4 of us together and buy one. I haven't added oil to mine yet.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Per Bill Mayo, use air compressor crankcase oil. That IS what I filled('over filled') mine with. Have NOT put much time on it, but so far, everything appears 'normal'.:) Less than $2/pint. You will need about a fourth of it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
thainglo
Gold Member

Post by thainglo »

Thanks! Think I've got a bottle of that out in the shop. Must be my lucky day. :D
Lost count, over a dozen rebuilt/repaired/restored
Personal equipment: 510 made in 1993, belt sander, jig saw, band saw, planer and jointer

Matt in GA
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:Per Bill Mayo, use air compressor crankcase oil. That IS what I filled('over filled') mine with. Have NOT put much time on it, but so far, everything appears 'normal'.:) Less than $2/pint. You will need about a fourth of it.
That only comes in SAE 30, correct?
Mike
Sunny San Diego
billmayo
Platinum Member

Jigsaw Oil

Post by billmayo »

mickyd wrote:That only comes in SAE 30, correct?
I believe the air compressor oil I use is around SAE 10. The weight is not listed on the bottles that I use. It takes 3 oz. of oil for the jig saw. I have 3 oz. bottles of this oil and bottles of Zoom Sprout Turbine Oil for the headstock lubrication available. Contact me off-line for information.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
tnerb
Gold Member

Post by tnerb »

Thanks for any advice!
Matt

I use 30 wt. non detergent oil in my Jigsaw. Use the same oil to lube the headstock as well. it's been working fine for about 25 years.

Brent
rcoder
Gold Member

JS oil

Post by rcoder »

I have had transmission fluid in mine for years. I just put new seals and bearings in and it works like new.

Bob Coder
Willcox, AZ