Power Switch

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jtomwoods
Gold Member

Power Switch

Post by jtomwoods »

I just had my third failure of a headstock power switch in the last 8-9 months. Has anyone had similar problems? They are essentially sealed, so I am at a loss as to what I can do to prevent them from failing.

Also, I noticed Grizzly Tools has a switch that looks identical to the one on my SS for only $3.95. Has anyone tried it?
dusty
Platinum Member

Power Switch

Post by dusty »

jtomwoods

I cannot help you solve the mystery of why power switches fail but I am still curious.

I have had my SS for many years and have never had a switch failure. I broke the switch on my power station but the cause of failure was "extreme impact".

How are your switches failing? What is the failure mode?

It just won't turn on?

It just won't turn off?

It smokes or sparks?

It is physically broken?

What year SS do you have?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

When it fails, it won't turn on. There is no smoking, burning or anything.

I can pull the leads from the switch and jumper them with a piece of copper wire, plug the cord into an outlet, and it works.
dusty
Platinum Member

Power Switch

Post by dusty »

Have you discussed this string of failures with Shopsmith Customer Service?

If not, I think that you should.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
billmayo
Platinum Member

Power Switch

Post by billmayo »

I would check the amp rating on your replacement switches. I have replaced around 6 switches in about 60 repair jobs. Shopsmith only used toggle switches rated at 15 amp until around the mid 80s when they went to 20 amp toggle switches. Some were open, couple had welded contacts. All showed burn marks on the back. I replace them with 20 amp toggle switches from Delcity.com at around $3.00 each. I recently replaced a 2006 520 headstock switch (removable key) which is only rated at 15 amp that melted the contact points and part of the switch. I replaced it with a spare HF belt sander switch rated at 20 amp. I would only use 20 amp rated switches as replacements. Let us know what the amp rating was for the failed switches and were they toggle or removable key switches. Thanks.

Bill Mayo
jtomwoods wrote:I just had my third failure of a headstock power switch in the last 8-9 months. Has anyone had similar problems? They are essentially sealed, so I am at a loss as to what I can do to prevent them from failing.

Also, I noticed Grizzly Tools has a switch that looks identical to the one on my SS for only $3.95. Has anyone tried it?
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

The failed switches are standard SS repair parts (Catalog no. 522384, Switch Service Pack) . I have not tried to dissemble the switch. I thought about returning them to SS's quality control department. The contacts look as good as new. There is no discoloration or evidence of heat at all.

I purchased my SS new in 2002 and have probably replaced 4 or 5 switches.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Power Switch

Post by billmayo »

Please contact Shopsmith QA group as they stated that noone had this problem when I contacted them. I am sure they will supply you with a new switch at no cost. The amp rating should be printed on the switch. I feel the 15 amp rating is too low for the Shopsmith motor but they disagreed with me. I recommend a 20 amp rated switch as a minimum. The removable safety toggle switch is a standard switch which is used by many different manufactories in their equipment. Even Harbor Freight uses a 20 amp version that will fit the Shopsmith.

Any Shopsmith owner who has a part failure on a newer 510/520 should contact Shopsmith immediately for they are excellant in suppling a replacement part normally at no cost.

Bill Mayo
jtomwoods wrote:The failed switches are standard SS repair parts (Catalog no. 522384, Switch Service Pack) . I have not tried to dissemble the switch. I thought about returning them to SS's quality control department. The contacts look as good as new. There is no discoloration or evidence of heat at all.

I purchased my SS new in 2002 and have probably replaced 4 or 5 switches.
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

Thanks to all for the feedback. I will contact SS.

The switch is the standard SS locking toggle switch. It is stamped as rated for 20A.
dusty
Platinum Member

Power Switch

Post by dusty »

Can you tell by the markings on the switch who the manufacturer is?

Is there a part number other than the SS number?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jtomwoods
Gold Member

Post by jtomwoods »

The manufacturer is McGill.
20A 277 V.A.C.
0811-1129-ON-OFF
MEXICO