I Need Training

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lafrosty
Bronze Member

I Need Training

Post by lafrosty »

I'm a new Shop Smith owner and a beginner to wood working. I have several projects that I'd like to get started utilizing my machine.

Wondering if there is any one in my area that might be able to Assist/Teach me a few thing about my machine and how to approach my projects. I'd gladly pay someone for their expertise and time. I'm in the Burbank California area (91602).

Also, if anyone has educational materials (beginners DVDs) that they may not require anymore I'd purchase it from them.
lafrosty
Bronze Member

Post by lafrosty »

test 111111
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

lafrosty welcome to the forum. Sorry I cant help with a visit I'm on the right cost. I would however try to answer any questions that I can. I am a self employed cabinetmaker and owner of Shopsmiths and knockoffs for 25 years. Be patient you will get a lot of help through this forum, sometimes it takes a little while for people to find you posting.

PS edit: A search of the Shopsmith owners google map turner up several possibility around LA. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 810547&z=4

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

You can update your profile to show what area you are in, That might help in locating 'local' help. If you are in the Dallas area I can try to help you with the equipment but I an at best a bit more than a beginner on a lot of woodworking.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

lafrosty

Chuck aka Charlese is one of the best in the SS world an is in the Lancaster area. I have sent him a private message on your behalf.

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

You can order a Self-Study course from Shopsmith:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... course.htm

And while you're waiting on that to arrive, you can watch the Sawdust Sessions:

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm

And the group of people here are also very helpful! It might take more than a few minutes to get a response, but someone here can answer just about any question you might have!
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW there are times when not too many folks are 'actively reading new posts'.

Patience IS a virtue here!

WELCOME!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bobw1953
Gold Member

seems like yesterday

Post by bobw1953 »

I was a new bee too 15 0r more years ago (i lie about my age too) The self study and hands on videos are wonderful and Nick Engler has a site too that chuck full of "learning" fun! Nick is a blast!

I also took classes at my local Woodcraft store when they were affiliated with SS.

The best advice I can give you is to pick a project get started and give us a holler on here when you get stuck.

Have a great adventure in making stuff

Bob
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Maybe Smitty will come to his house for $300?
Paul

520 PowerPro, Planer, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, 20" Scroll Saw, Dust Collector, conical disc
Also: 3D printers, and a homebrew CNC
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi, lafrosty! Welcome to the Forum! As other have said you can get a huge bunch of information from this forum and the Shopsmith Web pages. I have to admit that's a lot of reading and it is less painful to ask questions and wait for answers.

At this time I would like to emphasize two of the features that have been mentioned above. These are the "Self Study Course" that can be ordered from Shopsmith and the "Sawdust Sessions" http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm

I know you asked if there is anyone that is nearby and can come to help you. As you most probably know Lancaster is my home city and is a bit more than 60 miles over the San Gabriel Mountains. We very seldom com down to "the Valley" and then usually on a specific mission. However you are perfectly welcome to stop in here if you get up this way. Let me know by Private message if you wish this option. We would just have to agree on a date.

If we are home, "God willin' and the creek don't rise" I will probably be in my little shop and available. (an estimated 250 days per year)

I know a couple of places near you that may be of some help. They are
Berg Hardware
495 N Altadena Dr
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626) 793-3018
I believe they still repair Shopsmith machines. They used to be an authorized Shopsmith repair center.

and the Rockler store - http://www.rockler.com/retail/index.cfm?store=22
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA