Carriage Positioning - Drill Press Mode

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Carriage Positioning - Drill Press Mode

Post by dusty »

I am finding that more and more I need help moving things around. Tasks like moving the headstock or carriage while in drill press are becoming very difficult. So....I cheat. This wasn't my idea. I think Charlese mentioned doing this much earlier on the forum.

[ATTACH]11336[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11337[/ATTACH]

The table top is set at 40"" off the floor; about the lowest I can go with this bottle jack.
Attachments
Bottle Jack Yes but Brut Force No.JPG
Bottle Jack Yes but Brut Force No.JPG (153.89 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Protect the Carriage.JPG
Protect the Carriage.JPG (154.34 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Sure you got a big enough jack?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:Sure you got a big enough jack?:D
If it is not, I have two that are larger. This is the smallest I own. I try very hard not to buy things that can be done with equipment I already have.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:If it is not, I have two that are larger. This is the smallest I own. I try very hard not to buy things that can be done with equipment I already have.

That resonates here!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:.... This wasn't my idea. I think Charlese mentioned doing this much earlier on the forum. ..

Yes, I mentioned it, but copied it from Nick! I did add the wood supports. BTW I now use a little vertical screw jack I got with my first V.W. back in the 60's. Who throws good stuff away?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

Being a novice to the world of Shopsmith, here's a design question: Why don't the top ways have a rack & pinion adjustment like the table saw table? That way you could use the gear and handwheel to raise and lower the headstock when in the drill press mode, and then lock it down securely.

I have a very old 1910's Cast Iron K&E Drafting Table that has a rack & pinion with a raising wheel cast in the center of the shaft. It lifts the table effortlessly and that beast weighs easily what the headstock weighs x2.
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mgdesigns wrote:Being a novice to the world of Shopsmith, here's a design question: Why don't the top ways have a rack & pinion adjustment like the table saw table? That way you could use the gear and handwheel to raise and lower the headstock when in the drill press mode, and then lock it down securely.

I have a very old 1910's Cast Iron K&E Drafting Table that has a rack & pinion with a raising wheel cast in the center of the shaft. It lifts the table effortlessly and that beast weighs easily what the headstock weighs x2.
They did that with the Mark VII but they made the rack gear teeth out of plastic-not good!

K&E table rack and pinion-little gears, big wheel?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

My table is exactly like this without the swing away side tables. But here's pics of the rack & pinion. It's a beast, but the cam locks the downward travel to be sure.
Attachments
K&E-Rack&Pinion2-web.jpg
K&E-Rack&Pinion2-web.jpg (119.48 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
K&E-Rack&Pinion-web.jpg
K&E-Rack&Pinion-web.jpg (80.65 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
rdewinter
Gold Member

Post by rdewinter »

I use a small 2 ton bottle jack from Sears on my SS 10er set up in the drill press mode. That thing is a beast to move on the way tubes in the vertical position. The bottle jar makes things very easy. The lucky strike extra is that the bottle jack also provides a safety net in case the table lock should give under the weight of the headstock
Bob
San Diego
gilamonster
Gold Member

Post by gilamonster »

Dusty -- I don't even try!

It takes just a few seconds to lower the way tubes to horizontal, adjust the headstock and the other carriage, then lift it all up again.
DOUG in PINE

My Dad's 1956 Greenie upgraded with Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Belt Sander, SpeedIncreaser, 1-1/8hp Emerson motor and 510 tables.