Saw Blade Maintenance

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Saw Blade Maintenance

Post by dusty »

I thought that I kept my table saw blades in pretty good condition. But sharp is not what I am talking about. When they get dull, I know it because the cuts are no longer clean and crisp.

But this past week I was looking at the Forrest web site and noticed some photographs of clean/sharp blades and some that were not so sharp. I decided to look at mine under a magnifying glass.

I was surprised to see how cruddy they really were. Wish I could have gotten a good clear photograph to post. But what my blades look like have nothing to do with yours.

I would challenge you to get a magnifying glass and in real good light inspect your saw blades. You too might be surprised.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I've seen similar photos. I've fleetingly considered looking closely at my cutting tools. Then I discard the notion because I guess I just don't want to know. :D

When the normal indicators of wear appear, They are cleaned/replaced/sharpened. Being the worry wart that I am, I don't need the added emotional stress caused by close inspection of my 10 year old rip blade:eek:
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Gene Howe wrote:I've seen similar photos. I've fleetingly considered looking closely at my cutting tools. Then I discard the notion because I guess I just don't want to know. :D

When the normal indicators of wear appear, They are cleaned/replaced/sharpened. Being the worry wart that I am, I don't need the added emotional stress caused by close inspection of my 10 year old rip blade:eek:
I was pleased to find not evidence of abuse other than some tar and resin that should have been cleaned off. I found no chipped carbide and no evidence of cracks where the carbide joints the steel.

What I guess I learned was that I don't clean the blades either as often as I should or as well as I should.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

dusty wrote:What I guess I learned was that I don't clean the blades either as often as I should or as well as I should.
I must confess that I am also guilty of this. I do clean my blades on occasion but not until I notice a deterioration in my cut quality.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

dusty wrote:But this past week I was looking at the Forrest web site and noticed some photographs of clean/sharp blades and some that were not so sharp.

Dusty, can you provide a link to what ya were looking at. I can't seem to find the pics.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

tdubnik wrote:I must confess that I am also guilty of this. I do clean my blades on occasion but not until I notice a deterioration in my cut quality.
I clean when I change to a different blade.
I use 409 and a tooth brush and/or a brass bristled brush.
Same with router bits.
What do others use?
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

As long as I can remember, I've been using Westley's Bleche Wite tire cleaner. I lay down newspaper, use a block of wood to elevate the blade, spray both sides of the blade using pump bottle, let it set for a few minutes, then wipe with paper towel. Only if I really cook some resin or pitch on the blade do I have to resort to use of small brass or stiff bristle brush.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Shopsmith sold, or perhaps still sells, a blade cleaner that comes in an aerosol can. All I can say is WOW, you had better do this outside. The stuff is really powerful, and the fumes are certainly not fit to breathe.

I haven't yet sent any blades to Shupert & Son in Dayton for sharpening, but this was Nick's recomendation.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

To clean blades I use cheap oven cleaner. But WATCH OUT for the fumes. :eek:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Many oven cleaners contain lye (sodium hydroxide) which is extremely corrosive, so one needs to exercise care with that stuff -- gloves, eye protection, etc. If you use it, be aware that Freud recommends against using oven cleaners as they can attack the binders in the carbide and also the brazing that holds the carbide in place.
Art in Western Pennsylvania