Shopsmith greenie

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mgbbob
Gold Member

Shopsmith greenie

Post by mgbbob »

Hi folks, I am new here so if I am in the wrong place, pardon.
I have conventional woodworking equipment but a small shop and have considered a shopsmith for a long time.

I have found a 56 model and the price, $300, seems reasonable. I watched the video and how to check out a machine but the unit is a ways away from my house so I am tyring to do a little research before I travel.

I know the model was originally equiped with one bearing in the headstock. I think the owner may have done some modifications because he said he changed the belts two years ago.

How critical is the bearing issue to quality, accurate cuts? Should I hold out for a newer machine?

All suggestions apprciated.

Bob
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

MGBOB;
Welcome to the forum. The two bearing quill will aid in putting the quill back in the headstock and does reduce the runout in the end of the shaft so it will improve accuracy but I think that it is minimal. The two bearing quill from SS will probably NOT work in a '56 because I think that the splines are different. To upgrade to a two bearing quill you will most likely upgrade from the Gilmer drive to the poly v drive and that will require changing more parts. It can be done but may be in the area of $300.
Please your profile to include your location. If you contact Bill Mayo on this forum and communicate with him privately he may be able to remachine your original quill to a two bearing quill.
Bill V
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Bob welcome to the forum.

I do not mean to discourage you as many here have the Greene's but if it were my money I would spend it on a later model with a 1 1/8 hp motor. The 2 bearing quill is nice but not a deal maker/breaker as I have a single bearing Mark 5 in my line up and honestly cannot tell the difference. The difference in the motor power would however be quite noticeable.

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
mgbbob
Gold Member

Location and stuff

Post by mgbbob »

Hi folks, I am in the Kansas City area. I am not sure that some work may have been already done.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I totally agree with what Mark has said. The quill bearings is not of itself an issue, but the 3/4hp motor and Gilmer drive is.

It is only an 'issue' because new gilmer drive parts are not available(gilmer belt excepted).

A 1 1/8hp Shopsmith motor is directly interchangible with the 3/4hp motor.

Another 'detail' is the Greenie(and early Goldie) is designed as a 9" saw, whereas the later Mark V are 10".

The most important 'virtue' is the mechanical condition.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mgbbob
Gold Member

greenie

Post by mgbbob »

All that being said what should I look for in price? I missed a 510 for about $500 and the greenie is about $300? Is that in the ballpark?
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

mgbob,

A lot of user's here have single bearing quill greenies and are happy with them. I have a 55. $300 is resonable price for a well maintained machine, but before I made the trip I would want to know what accessories and special purpose tools he has for it. A picture would be beneficial.
Here are a couple of other questions to ask:
What is the serial number? (will help you determine age)
When he replaced the belts do he upgrade the machine from the Gilmer (cogged) belt to the Poly-V (ribbed) belt? (if he did it's definitely worth $300).
You could always offer $250 or less.

Sincerely,

Ron309753
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mgbbob wrote:All that being said what should I look for in price? I missed a 510 for about $500 and the greenie is about $300? Is that in the ballpark?
Condition, condition, condition. Oh and what 'extras(spt...)'?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

If this is the machine you are talking about I would not give him $300 or even $200. I don't see any acessories or SPT's! No miter gauge, no blade guard, no lathe centers, no saw blades, no sanding disk, no drill chuck? If that's all there is you would spend way too much money and time acquiring the pieces and parts you would need to make it useable.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/2238176320.html

Sincerely,

Ron309753
jayhawk
Gold Member

Post by jayhawk »

Change your search on the Kansas City Craig's List to Shop Smith. You'll be surprised what pops up. I always check Shopsmith AND Shop Smith. Good luck.
Jayhawk
1982 Mark V 500 'Shorty' upgraded to 510 S/N 131846 (purchased new)
PowerPro S/N 09-02-10 (Sept 2010)
SS PowerStation, Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, thickness planer, strip sander, lathe duplicator, ringmaster, jig saw, OPR