Craigslist Score Trip #2

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Craigslist Score Trip #2

Post by wannabewoodworker »

Well I couldn't stay away from the estate sale. Knowing that there was still a lot of wood and other misc. stuff there for the taking I went back this morning this time with the wife as I knew she would find some good stuff that she could use for her jewelry making. Picked up a bunch more wood mostly cherry I think and most of it 2-3" thick rough sawn stuff. I will take some pics later once the rain stops to make sure it is cherry as I really am not sure. I know it is definitely nice hardwood just not sure what variety. I picked up some 90 deg. frame clamps for $5, a Ryobi 18V handheld circular saw with battery and charger for $15 and already used it on the table we bought the other day and it cuts like butta. I took a Baush & Lomb focused light of some kind not sure what it's used for but it has an articulated arm so you can move the light around. It puts out a really nice focused beam of light and i figured I could use it for fly tying. I found 30-40 files all of them made by Nicholas for $10 the wife was totally tickled pink with that deal being she uses files all the time. She also pried a really old brass door handle out from underneath a table that looks like it could of come off the doors of Westminster Abbey......:D . Not sure what she wanted that for but my guess is it is worth a lot of money as I don't think you can find those anymore. I also picked up some delrin wheels with sealed bearings in them I am sure I can use for a lathe steady rest.

So in total we spent $65 on everything and i think we made out like bandits. I will post a pic of the light as I am really curious about it. Oh the wood only cost $20 and I know it would have cost me a ton more than that if i went to the lumber yard to buy it.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Here are the pics I will have to post a couple times as there are more than 4 total pics. The first pics are of the wood I got any and all opinions on type are welcome. Some of it looks darker than it really is because it was raining today coming home the bigger pieces to the left standing up are from today.

Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Pics part 2

More pics of the haul

Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Pics part 3

Here is the last of the pics. I know most of you probably don't really care but I am pretty excited about the stuff we got for very short money. It did feel a little creepy rifling through some old mans life but he was 89 when he passed away and had worked right up until the week before he passed away and even drove himself to the VA Hospital. His son was super nice to everyone and the other gentleman helping him was also very cordial considering the task at hand. They had a really old compressor that I wanted BAD but it only ran very slowly and would have needed some serious work and or parts for the motor not sure what was wrong with it but it would have been a fun project to restore that old relic. It had a 2 cylinder pump and a big electric motor that I believe was 240V single phase. Also had a Bridgeport milling machine that was 1 of only 400 originally produced a long time ago that looked to be in perfect condition and if I had the room would have loved to have bought it. Man there was just a dizzying array of stuff that had been collected over 50 years.

Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
fiatben
Platinum Member

Nice find

Post by fiatben »

I love the drill! That is way cool.
My first thought on some of the darker wood, especially juxtaposed against the maple, was walnut, but I have no real clue.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
jcraigie
Platinum Member

Post by jcraigie »

Really nice pickup, the gentleman would be happy that someone who appreciates his tools now has them and will respect them.
1984 Mark V 500 and an early 1954 greenie. jointer, belt sander, bandsaw, jigsaw, planner.

Jeff
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Nice haul on the wood. There is some interesting grain there.

Does the thumb latch on that door handle move?

Those mounting plates look hand made!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

Estate auctions and absolute auctions are great for finding hand tool, and sometimes standalone tool bargains. I got a planer last year for $100, and a shopsmith worklight in a box with some other items for $2. I regularly visit the Ohio Auctioneer’s Association website to see what local auctions have to offer.

Sincerely,

Ron309753
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

JPG,
The thumb latch is functional there is a small pin on the other side of it that presumably would actuate another mechanism inside the door. It is a really nice piece of old hardware.

Fiat,
I too fell in love with the drill. I don't really think I will be using it but it was just too cool not to pick it up. It does work and is fully functional but the range of the drill is very limited with a bit attached to it.

JC,
I would hope that he would be happy to know that his stuff was going to a home where it is very much appreciated and will be used with loving care. I would have loved to have met him he sounded like a really interesting guy with tons of knowledge. There was a guy there today who had just met him a week prior to him passing away and he was very upset to hear that he had died. He was 89 and had a very long and full life so I am sure he is happy wherever he is now.
Michael Mayo
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I wanted to say a similar comment to the one by Jeff. If it had been me that passed away, one of my wishes would have been for someone to get these tools who would have appreciated them and used them in good health.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA