Shopsmith Red Storage Cabinets

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Alan D
Gold Member

Shopsmith Red Storage Cabinets

Post by Alan D »

It appears that the Shopsmith Red Storage Cabinets were a great combination for use with the Shopsmith Mark V. Were there problems with the design resulting in the discontinuing the set?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Alan D wrote:It appears that the Shopsmith Red Storage Cabinets were a great combination for use with the Shopsmith Mark V. Were there problems with the design resulting in the discontinuing the set?

Not that I have heard. I have a set of three, stacked and serving as a cabinet for many things. Even put a wood top on the stack. The top holds two SPTs and also serves as a base for my Shopsmith "drill press vice".
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I would suspect it also had something to do with Shopsmith's economic woes and subsequent reorganization. I have a set of three as well stacked in the shop.

BPR
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Alan D wrote:It appears that the Shopsmith Red Storage Cabinets were a great combination for use with the Shopsmith Mark V. Were there problems with the design resulting in the discontinuing the set?

I don't believe there was a problem with the chests themselves. Their major selling factor was that they fit comfortably under the Mark 5/V. The drawers are smaller (16"wx14"d) than in a typical tool chest.

I would guess that they were never big sellers. If they had been, Shopsmith would not have dropped them. They were still listed in the 2008 Father's Day Catalog (set of three for $474 plus shipping). Part Numbers: 522319, 522320 and 522322.

There is a lot of competition out there for that price.

These are the tool chests that I prefer. I have a journeyman machinist's chest and a mechanics tool box (no longer available). They have survived as long and as well as my Shopsmith. Can't buy much here for $500 though.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

dusty wrote:I don't believe there was a problem with the chests themselves. Their major selling factor was that they fit comfortably under the Mark 5/V. The drawers are smaller (16"wx14"d) than in a typical tool chest.

<snip>

These are the tool chests that I prefer. I have a journeyman machinist's chest and a mechanics tool box (no longer available). They have survived as long and as well as my Shopsmith. Can't buy much here for $500 though.
There is nothing wrong with them at all, my dad has them and they are well made chests. I suspect that Shopsmith had a batch made up and found they sold slowly enough that it wasn't worth keeping them in inventory. Not to mention the original manufacturer may no longer be in business. They do conflict with the lift assist and are a little tippy if you try to roll them individually. I considered the set when Shopsmith put them on clearance sale but pondered the purchase a little too long and they sold out. Just as well I have a 200 lb pinion cutting machine that lives under my Shopsmith and I can't imagine where I would keep it otherwise. (Scrap yard doesn't count dad :D)
There have been some clever custom storage cabinets posted to the forum and I think eventually I will do something along these lines.

I have to agree the Kennedy chests are really about the best, most practical choice. They do appear used for modest prices, I bought my Apprentice chest full of tools on ebay for a trivial sum. Even though the steel chests are stronger, more durable, and have a better volumetric efficiency, I still prefer the wood machinists chests and can't seem to stop buying them. My wife buys shoes and tote bags, I buy machinist chests...

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

I have two sets of four red chests, for both Gainesville and the U.P. I stack them two high, two wide, and put on a plywood top. As Troy said, with the lift assist you can no longer get three under the shopsmith.

I think one of the serious problems that Shopsmith had with this product was shipping damage. Back around '05 they had an unusually large number of damaged chests on sale. I bought several and had to kinda bend them back into shape.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I suspect the lift assist did them in. I know I thought about them until I learned of the conflict then they were out of consideration.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
Alan D
Gold Member

Post by Alan D »

Thanks for the feedback

Alan