GFI again

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

GFI again

Post by wa2crk »

Hi Gang
I don't know if anyone here follows the Yahoo SS site but there is a discussion going on over there that contains disparaging remarks about SS and the PP headstock.
Apparently ther are folks who have the GFI trip when using the PP headstock and now folks are ,making suggestions that the ground pin on the plug should be cut off or GFI outlets should be replaced with standard outlets even in Garages. (not a good idea). Other comments range from SS is junk to SS is dangerous and improperly engineered. I just completed a morning of tests with my PP headstock and can not duplicate ANY of the problems that they specify. I know that this was discussed here earlier but things are geting a bit nasty over there.
Bill V
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I think this is something SS can't ignore they have to address this issue. Something is wrong somewhere when you have so many people reporting GFI failures. And if SS is telling people to replace their GFI breaker with a non GFI breaker they are setting themselves up for a huge crash.

Does the PowerPro carry UL certification or not? Can anyone tell me they see a sticker stating as much on a PowerPro upgrade?

There was an article in Popular Mechanics or Science I get both and don't remember which that talked about older GFI breakers that were susceptible to certain frequencies. They said the problem has been resolved in the new GFI's so I would think if your machine trips the breaker and you replace it with a new GFI that is now on the market and it checks out as good and SS still trips the breaker there is a problem in the SS.

I would either send it back or hold SS feet to the fire until they resolve your problem. Personal opinion!
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

ED
Actually I don't have the problem but others do. I actually believe that the GFI's are the problem. I have no problems with my PP under any circumstances. People on that site getting info that could prove to be dangerous. I think that my son told me that that there are GFI receptacles that are considered RFI suppressed for use in hospitals but I will have to check with him again. I even waved my Ham Radio walkie talkie at five watts of power right in front of my outlet and could not institute a GFI trip. Go Figure!!
Bill V
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

wa2crk wrote:ED
Actually I don't have the problem but others do. I actually believe that the GFI's are the problem. I have no problems with my PP under any circumstances. People on that site getting info that could prove to be dangerous. I think that my son told me that that there are GFI receptacles that are considered RFI suppressed for use in hospitals but I will have to check with him again. I even waved my Ham Radio walkie talkie at five watts of power right in front of my outlet and could not institute a GFI trip. Go Figure!!
Bill V
Bill
One question does you GFI work when it suppose to? I know some would trip when the test button was pressed but would not trip during an actual short. I believe there is a test plug that plugs into the receptacle and has a very low milliamp short that should make all GFI trip. Many don't. :eek:
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Should this be a

SAFETY ALERT by Shopsmith?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Ed;
Yes it does.
Bill V
mrblanche
Gold Member

Post by mrblanche »

I'm trying to imagine the size of rectangular cuboid clay-based building unit SS's lawyers would excrete if they heard them telling customers to replace a GFI with a non-protected outlet.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

wa2crk wrote:...I think that my son told me that that there are GFI receptacles that are considered RFI suppressed for use in hospitals but I will have to check with him again. ...Bill V

Will you please check on this!!! Also if he would mention a source of these outlets. I would like to buy a couple.

THANKS!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

mrblanche
The statement made on the other website the poster stated that SS published in the instructions that a GFI receptacle should not be used was incomplete. The Shopsmith publication stated that the WALL mounted GFI receptacle should be replaced with a standard outlet AND a GFI circuit breaker should be installed in the distribution panel. I think that what this would do is to move the sensing circuit of the GFI away from the affected outlet and lowers the RFI interference that may be causing the problem. Also the circuit breaker panel is a steel box that is grounded and will provide additional RF protection by shielding the GFI components.
Bill V
jcraigie
Platinum Member

Post by jcraigie »

"weak" GFI plugs will do this. I have had several that would trip if almost anything with a decent load was plugged into it. Change the GFI and the "problem" is fixed. It's not always the case but many times it is, those things get treated BAD. Ever seen someone drop one on the floor of HD then put it back on the shelf?:rolleyes:
1984 Mark V 500 and an early 1954 greenie. jointer, belt sander, bandsaw, jigsaw, planner.

Jeff