bandsaw

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Why Carter Stablizer

Post by paulmcohen »

Good review here that explains why you want a stablizer. It is for small blades not much over 1/4". The basic problem is very small blades don't have enough surface behind the teeth for other guides to work well.
dusty
Platinum Member

Carter Stabilizer

Post by dusty »

paulmcohen

Thank you. Very good reference. Who better to explain why a Carter than Carter.

I don't use my bandsaw that way enough to need the Stabilizer but I can certainly see than some may. Incidently, do you have one on your bandsaw?
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Carter Stablizer works Great on Shopsmith Bandsaw

Post by paulmcohen »

Yes, It took a long time to install. The instructions were almost non-existant, just a bad picture. I called Carter and someone walked me throught it. I could now do it in a couple of minutes. You would need to remove it for resawing.
sawdust2155
Bronze Member

Post by sawdust2155 »

dusty wrote:Carter makes a stabilizer that they advertise to be for the Shopsmith but I am unable to determine why I might need one. It looks like just another bearing that mounts behind the blade. If one has their bandsaw adjusted correctly, I am at a loss to see what it might do to improve performance.

http://www.carterproducts.com/product.a ... &cat_id=14

Those of you who are using one are the only ones who will be able to answer this?
I currently use the carter stabilizer on a 14 inch bandsaw. The stabilizer holds the back of the blade steady and allows the front of the blade to flex left and right allowing one to cut a very tight radius without ruining the teeth or heating up the blade. All the other guides are removed above and below the table. The stabilizer is the only guide needed. The stabilizer is for 1/4 inch size or less blades. I am thinking very seriously about buying the stabilizer for my SS. I would then use it exclusively on the SS for scroll work and use the ball bearing guides on the 14 inch saw for straight cutting and re-sawing operations. I highly recommend the CARTER STABILIZER!!!
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

I have the Carter bearing guides on a Delta bandsaw and they work great, but I have found the ceramic guides coupled with the double bearing modification I posted on the Shopsmith saw works better and saves money. I modified two Shopsmith saws for members of our woodworkers group a couple of weeks ago and they were quite pleased with the improvement.
ldh
riot_nrrd
Gold Member

Post by riot_nrrd »

I have both the Stabilizer and the Conversion kit.

The stablizer allows you to make really tight turns - much tighter than the normal guides.

The conversion seems to run smoother and defintiely quieter. I assume that means the blade is also running cooler.

I have been very happy with both.
RiotNrrd

Shopsmith 510 with PowerPro upgrade, Bandsaw, Jointer, Planer, Belt Sander
Incra 1000 HD, Miter Express, TS-III, Wonderfence Other miscellaneous Dewalt, Ryobi, and Craftsman