Ready for PowerPro upgrade

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Ready for PowerPro upgrade

Post by fredsheldon »

[ATTACH]17621[/ATTACH]

Spent the weekend tearing down and cleaning up my backup headstock off of my mini in preparation for the arrival of my PowerPro purchase. It will be interesting to see how many of the parts are being replaced with the upgrade. Got all the openings cleaned and waxed for easier reassembly I hope.
Attachments
DSC_0041.JPG
DSC_0041.JPG (94.45 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

fredsheldon wrote:[ATTACH]17621[/ATTACH]

Spent the weekend tearing down and cleaning up my backup headstock off of my mini in preparation for the arrival of my PowerPro purchase. It will be interesting to see how many of the parts are being replaced with the upgrade. Got all the openings cleaned and waxed for easier reassembly I hope.

The only parts you will need are the three large case parts as shown - and the cover for the back side. You will get all new bearings.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
cdmclain
Gold Member

Post by cdmclain »

charlese, do you have to inform Shopsmith of which version of headstock you have so you get the correct switch?
cdmclain
North Texas

PowerPro Mark 7 & Mark 5 510, Bandsaw/PowerStation, Scrollsaw, Jointer, Pro Planer, Beltsander/PowerStation, Strip Sander, Ringmaster, DC3300
cdmclain
Gold Member

Post by cdmclain »

fredsheldon, looking forward to a detailed installation thread once when you get the PowerPro.
cdmclain
North Texas

PowerPro Mark 7 & Mark 5 510, Bandsaw/PowerStation, Scrollsaw, Jointer, Pro Planer, Beltsander/PowerStation, Strip Sander, Ringmaster, DC3300
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

Carry,

I am using this link to guide me in my upgrade. So far it has been very helpful with detailed photos of each step.

http://www.reviewboard.com/12/3898/shop ... ck-upgrade

Fred
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

cdmclain wrote:charlese, do you have to inform Shopsmith of which version of headstock you have so you get the correct switch?
Shopsmith customer service contacts you after you order to determine which switch is needed.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
cdmclain
Gold Member

Post by cdmclain »

Thank you for the link.
cdmclain
North Texas

cdmclain
Gold Member

Post by cdmclain »

SDSSmith wrote:Shopsmith customer service contacts you after you order to determine which switch is needed.
Thanks for the response.
cdmclain
North Texas

cdmclain
Gold Member

Post by cdmclain »

SDSSmith wrote:Shopsmith customer service contacts you after you order to determine which switch is needed.
Thanks for the response.
cdmclain
North Texas

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

cdmclain wrote:charlese, do you have to inform Shopsmith of which version of headstock you have so you get the correct switch?

They didn't call me and I got the old toggle switch. No problem 'cause I just renewed my switch..

If I remember correctly - you will have to remove your headstock wedge locks in order to have room for the installation. There's a roll pin through the handle that must be removed in order to get the wedges and screw out.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA