UM......Nick.........Did I see that????

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

a1gutterman wrote:Hi Paul,
Is the surface that you are rolling your SS on smooth? Or do you roll it on rough surfaces a lot? Granted, my SS does not move around a lot, but the casters on my 1995 model look next to new.Image I have never rolled it on anything except smooth concrete.

The surface has changed over the years, now it is plastic "race deck", and I like the idea of soft Urethane wheels to protect the deck. The original surface was concrete and the wheels just wore down from use and maybe abuse. I think part of the problem was the bending of the arms made the wheels look more worn then they really were.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
billmayo
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Casters

Post by billmayo »

This is my solution for moving the Shopsmith around. I used my Kobato tractor around the house when building room additions and garages. I tied a 2KW generator on the extension table and used it to power the Shopsmith and all the electric power tools. I storaged the electric power tools on each side of the Shopsmith. It goes real well in dirt (10" wheels) and is easy to load onto a trailer for use elsewhere. It is the same height as the regular Shopsmith but could be made higher or lower while being made.

[ATTACH]1075[/ATTACH]

Bill Mayo
Attachments
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG (38.27 KiB) Viewed 8619 times
chrispitude
Gold Member

Post by chrispitude »

Bill, now that is truly cool.

- Chris
backhertz
Platinum Member

Turning the speed down

Post by backhertz »

Is a great idea, especially when you go to power on the band saw....

You only do this once. I was in a hurry to cut something, I connected up the band saw, turned it on... Before I could turn it off, the blade shot across the room and the lower rubber tire was gone too.

It was a moment my brother-in-law and I will never forget.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

That cart is truly cool. In a few months when we move I will need to pull my shopsmith tools up a hill to my driveway in order to load them into a trailer. I have been considering building a wheeled cart similar to a piano dolly but long and narrow. Your cart gives me a lot to think about. Thanks for sharing it. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
jjbraun50
Silver Member

A "rookie" mistake

Post by jjbraun50 »

I admit it, I made THE rookie mistake a couple weeks ago and I'm big enough to poke fun at myself. I have an '86 MkV Model 500 with a borrowed bandsaw. I had to cut off the end of a 2 x 4 for some minor thing I was making. Popped on the machine - too slow. Started cranking up to sawing speed, but before I got there, clunk, clunk. Switch off machine, quickly, I might add, then realized that the band saw was still attached. Blade didn't break, but the upper tire came apart. A good reason for turning down the speed between operations. AND, look to see what's attached before switching on. And, as always, since no damage was done to me, other than ego, it was kinda funny.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

jjbraun50 wrote:I admit it, I made THE rookie mistake a couple weeks ago and I'm big enough to poke fun at myself. I have an '86 MkV Model 500 with a borrowed bandsaw. I had to cut off the end of a 2 x 4 for some minor thing I was making. Popped on the machine - too slow. Started cranking up to sawing speed, but before I got there, clunk, clunk. Switch off machine, quickly, I might add, then realized that the band saw was still attached. Blade didn't break, but the upper tire came apart. A good reason for turning down the speed between operations. AND, look to see what's attached before switching on. And, as always, since no damage was done to me, other than ego, it was kinda funny.
Hi jjbraun50,
We are all subject to making mistakes, whether on purpose or accidental like yours. The best mistakes, like the one you made, are the ones that we learn from and that no one is injured by.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Hey all these stories of throwing band saw tires sounds like a perfect fix for everyone that is having a hard time getting the old rubber tire off when they go to replace them. Now if we can only figure a way to do both the top and bottom tire.
Ed
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Hey all these stories of throwing band saw tires sounds like a perfect fix for everyone that is having a hard time getting the old rubber tire off when they go to replace them. Now if we can only figure a way to do both the top and bottom tire.
Ed
You're killing me!ImageImageImageImage
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.