Misnaming of woodworking machines

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

ryanbp01 wrote:Hi Dusty-

As tempting as it is to take the bait, I'm going to pass on this offer. I have enough headaches dealing with grammar in the classroom, not to mention those things children should have learned at home in the first place.
BPR
Hey, I was trolling with bait. I wasn't even issuing an invitation; at least not for myself. I was suggesting that there are some here on the forum who could probably help us if anyone thought it was necessary.

Also, pointing out the grammatical errors of others hardly ever wins friends and never influences people favorably.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

heathicus wrote:I see people refer to woodworking machines by "wrong" names frequently, but especially it seems on Craig's List. And I can't help but wonder why? I'm assuming it's a phonetic spelling of a mis-pronunciation, but it just seems so obvious that it's wrong - to me any way.

The two most frequent examples are:

lay - instead of lathe
ban saw - instead of band saw

And then there's the instances of a jointer being referred to as a planer. But I can understand that one since a jointer is called a planer in the UK and other countries, and the name can be traced back to the "jointer plane" hand plane. So it doesn't bug me near as much as "lay" and "ban saw."

What I like is how people interchange the word Jig saw using it for Jig saws, scroll saw, fret saws, coping saw, and in some cases reciprocating saws.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

dusty wrote: Also, pointing out the grammatical errors of others hardly ever wins friends and never influences people favorably.

I'm sorry if I offended someone. I thought this thread was about Craigslist postings with horrible errors. I wasn't bashing anyone on the forum, but reading the replies it seems as though some think I was. So if I did offend anyone, I apologize.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

joshh wrote:I'm sorry if I offended someone. I thought this thread was about Craigslist postings with horrible errors. I wasn't bashing anyone on the forum, but reading the replies it seems as though some think I was. So if I did offend anyone, I apologize.
I don't believe you offended anyone and most especially not I. I get into it much too often to allow myself to be hurt by differing opinions. If fact, I strongly encourage discussion over things that I say and opinions I express. Healthy discussion is an educational process.

I have learned here that religion and politics should be discussed face to face.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Cavediver
Gold Member

Post by Cavediver »

My favorite: Radio Alarm Saw
donalexander
Gold Member

Grammar isn't important....

Post by donalexander »

unless you think its important to understand what the other person is saying.

There's a difference between saying 'You know your s**t!' and saying 'You know, you're s**t.'

I won't denigrate someone when they butcher the language and 'ax me a kwest-chen' but I instantly know I've got to listen far more carefully and ask questions to get to the relevant information before I respond to what they've "axed" me. Depending on my mood and available time, sometimes it easier to just say, 'I don't know' and move on.

Grammer is boring, in my opinion, but it essential if you plan to communicate effectively.
Don

Mark V (bought new, now sold), Model 520 (1989 510 upgraded)
Bandsaw, Jointer, and Planer
1951 Magna Engineering 10ER (restored for lathe use and sold)
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

Cavediver wrote:My favorite: Radio Alarm Saw
W I N N E R!!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

donalexander wrote:unless you think its important to understand what the other person is saying.

There's a difference between saying 'You know your s**t!' and saying 'You know, you're s**t.'

I won't denigrate someone when they butcher the language and 'ax me a kwest-chen' but I instantly know I've got to listen far more carefully and ask questions to get to the relevant information before I respond to what they've "axed" me. Depending on my mood and available time, sometimes it easier to just say, 'I don't know' and move on.

Grammer is boring, in my opinion, but it essential if you plan to communicate effectively.
Yeah, it is boring; grammar that is..
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

joshh wrote:I'm sorry if I offended someone. I thought this thread was about Craigslist postings with horrible errors. I wasn't bashing anyone on the forum, but reading the replies it seems as though some think I was. So if I did offend anyone, I apologize.
Actually the thread was about confusing the names of things and mislabeling. But once again we saw a squirrel and went off after it. That's the luxury we have when this is a hobby, and why I don't want to ever turn my hobbies into a job.
derekdarling
Gold Member

Post by derekdarling »

joshh wrote:I don't think it's just wordworking terms. It's because as a society we are de-evolving. Have you seen the movie idiocracy? It's an accurate glimpse of our future :)

Could care less instead of couldn't care less
... unless, of course, they COULD care less, and choose not to.:D
Derek Darling
Surrey, B.C. Canada
10ERs, other stuff, you know.