Mallet

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dan1999
Gold Member

Mallet

Post by dan1999 »

Well it seems the quiz is now over, the lighter wood is indeed white ash. I really thought that the centre core would stump everyone for a little longer but congratulations nuhobby you guess it, it is rosewood, grrrrr.

When i originally decided to make it I wanted some of the hardest wood that I could get and chose purpleheart white ash and rosewood. I definitely would not have chosen wedge that just have given me a handful of splinters every time I would have used. I then used Elmer's high performance glue, polyurethane, as i wanted maximum expansion of the glue to fill in all the voids between the different species of wood. Then turned it to what you see in the picture, and the best part was it only cost me about $7.00 in wood to make it.

Thanks to all who participated in my quiz. Keep cutting!

Dan
Mark V 520,Mark V 510(2),Mark V 500(2) Dust Collector(2), Jointer(2), bandsaw(2), jigsaw, beltsander, biscuit joiner(2) Lathe Duplicator, RingMaster, Pro planer
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Any chance you have photos of the glued-up blank before you turned it? I'd be curious to see it already to be turned.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

[
Oh btw, Mrhart only
the light species is a North American wood[/quote]

We'll be looking into the legalities of you importing wood just to throw us off, unless maybe you send us back some of yours. Pound for pound lets say. :cool:

Beautiful tool sir, I likes it. :D
R Hart
dan1999
Gold Member

Mallet

Post by dan1999 »

Regretably I did not take any pictures of the mallet prior to turning it, but I will tell you it take about 15 to 16 clamps to hold it together properly. All of the pieces in the mallet were cut up, the ash was in four sections if you look at the top of the mallet. The purple heart was sectioned up to fit and obviously I dry fitted it first to make sure everything was in alignment. The hard part was the gluing using polyurethane it dries quick 15 minute set up time and I had to do the gluing in 1 shot. I was racing.
Mark V 520,Mark V 510(2),Mark V 500(2) Dust Collector(2), Jointer(2), bandsaw(2), jigsaw, beltsander, biscuit joiner(2) Lathe Duplicator, RingMaster, Pro planer