Lathe and Tail Stock

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rwilabee
Gold Member

Lathe and Tail Stock

Post by rwilabee »

Question for those of you who use are doing lathe work and using the speed reducer and the upgraded heavy duty tool rest that clamps to the top of the slider. When you need to use a live center in the tail stock to help support the wood what do you do. I can't seem to get closed enough to the tail stock. If I don't use the speed reducer I can extend the quill but that doesn't work with the speed reducer.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Do you have the Shopsmith Live Center? If so, Shopsmith sells an extension for it. I can't find the catalog number. You may have to call customer service.
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

You can extend the quill with the speed reducer attached- extend the quill first, then tighten the speed reducer to the way tubes.

I use a #2 Morse taper extension from Packard Woodworks in the tailstock.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchan ... gory_Code=

Gary
rwilabee
Gold Member

Post by rwilabee »

I don't think I need to extend the quill it is the speed reducer that causes the problem. Does the Morse taper extension set up to much vibration or stress the tail stock.
greitz wrote:You can extend the quill with the speed reducer attached- extend the quill first, then tighten the speed reducer to the way tubes.

I use a #2 Morse taper extension from Packard Woodworks in the tailstock.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchan ... gory_Code=

Gary
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rwilabee wrote:I don't think I need to extend the quill it is the speed reducer that causes the problem. Does the Morse taper extension set up to much vibration or stress the tail stock.
The speed reducer will move with the quill(that is how large holes are bored).

The live tailstock extension is a lathe duplicator part.

Does the hd tool rest interfere with the sr?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

JPG40504 wrote:The speed reducer will move with the quill(that is how large holes are bored).

I've got both the Universal Tool Rest and the Speed Reducer but have not used them both at the same time on a work piece that is short enough to bring this issue to the fore.

But looking at the images on the Shopsmith site, you can see the UTR has a large disc that overhangs the carriage on both sides and which at some point will interfere with the SR's base as you extend the quill. And if that doesn't get you, it looks like the UTR's banjo may be high enough to catch the SR's casting although I suspect the base interference issue would get you first.
[ATTACH]26024[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26025[/ATTACH]
Attachments
speed_reducer_in_use1_l.jpg
speed_reducer_in_use1_l.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 6094 times
all_inclusive_tool_rest_pkg_l.jpg
all_inclusive_tool_rest_pkg_l.jpg (97.38 KiB) Viewed 6093 times
rwilabee
Gold Member

Post by rwilabee »

Yes the hd tool rest plate will interfere with the sr.
JPG40504 wrote:The speed reducer will move with the quill(that is how large holes are bored).

fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

But of course you could solve the issue with the purchase of a Pow... Oh never mind.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
charlese
Platinum Member

Question

Post by charlese »

Can the Speed reducer be mounted on the right side of the UTR? (On the tail stock side)???
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
rwilabee
Gold Member

Post by rwilabee »

A new POW still will not solve the problem. Any time you want to have the tail stock to help support the project either the SR or the in the case of the POW the housing will hit the Heavy Duty Tool Rest plate. You can use an extension in the tail stock and then the live center but it can set up vibration being extended so far. I don't think there is a good answer when using the Heavy Duty Tool Rest.
fredsheldon wrote:But of course you could solve the issue with the purchase of a Pow... Oh never mind.