520 Rip Scale Mod

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Re: 520 Rip Scale Mod

Post by algale »

My 520 rails have the ledge for the magnets/scales, but I have neither the magnets nor the scales. (It's a long story but the short version is I had to replace my original 520 rails which were made before the redesign and I didn't want to pay for the upgrade to the version with scales). When I first got them, I thought about buying the magnetic tape at the box stores and ordering the Shopsmith rules but I've been pretty happy with my "$3 Dollar Self-Zeroing 36" Direct Reading Rip Scale." http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... post138615

But if I were having this problem, I would be inclined to pull off the magnetic tape (that stuff is notoriously weak) and epoxying in its place a wood strip (milled to the same thickness as the magnetic tape) into which I countersunk and epoxied some of those super high power but tiny magnets every three inches or so.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Here is how I solved the plastic piece from falling off my fence. I put in two self tapping screws, never had a problem since.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (104.07 KiB) Viewed 13152 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Now that is really remarkable. A very clever fix along with a photograph.

How much clearance is there, inside the fence, for the screws.

If mine comes off again, I'll incorporate screws but not the plastic marker.
ProFence Position Marker.png
ProFence Position Marker.png (33.41 KiB) Viewed 13140 times
I'll make one of these using aluminum.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

You know I think you might have posted this solution before but without a picture? Anyway that sounds like the way to go when mine falls off. I guess I could just go ahead and do it now but hey why do something when you can put it off for a while......... Yea I'll wait until I'm in the middle of a major project then have it come off and delay my efforts until I get it stuck back on, good to have a plan right?

Ed

Ed in Tampa wrote:Here is how I solved the plastic piece from falling off my fence. I put in two self tapping screws, never had a problem since.
image.jpeg
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

Places like http://www.shapeways.com/ can print a part like this on demand, its a perfect opportunity for 3d printing if you have access.
jms
Gold Member

Post by jms »

Question on this thread -- and apologize if it's been answered in another thread but I didn't see it in a forum search -- are the front rails for the rip scale upgrade actually different extrusions -- or are they identical to the original 520 front rails except with a magnetic strip already attached?

The reason I ask, I have a 1986 510 I bought in December but yesterday I just ordered a 520 main table (with flat middle section), along with two 520 floating extension tables, and one 520 fixed extension table from eBay - and the pro fence alignment tool as well. I still need to get the 520 fence and straddler.

I've seen the post about using a very thin metal scale underneath the fence to take measurements - and that may be what I end up doing. After looking at various diagrams I couldn't determine if the magnetic strip and the metal scale could be ordered separately (found the part numbers) and used with the 520 tables I just ordered. If they can - are there also parts that I need to order for the fence to be able to read against the scale?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'll post a coupple images later to help you make up your mind.

However, If I had a set of 520 rails without the magnetic strip capability, I certainly would not pay the price to upgrade to magnetic strip. Furthermore, the mag strip is not it is cracked up to be. It could be if the mag tape held better. I frequently pull the metal ruler off by just brushing against. I've been told that dust is an issue but when that happens has not substantiated that claim.
Last edited by dusty on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jms
Gold Member

Post by jms »

Thanks Dusty -- what I'm thinking is ordering the metal scales from SS - but finding a very strong magnetic strip that I can adhese to the rails. I've read the posts here where many find the magnetic tape is not strong enough, but surely I could find something online that would really hold the metal rule down.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jeremysavoy wrote:Thanks Dusty -- what I'm thinking is ordering the metal scales from SS - but finding a very strong magnetic strip that I can adhese to the rails. I've read the posts here where many find the magnetic tape is not strong enough, but surely I could find something online that would really hold the metal rule down.
One problem/solution at a time.

Something strong will work if it is the right thing. The magnetic strip that Shopsmith applied IS NOT coming off. The magnetic strip is not (IMHO) strong enough to attract the metal rule in place during normal shop activity. Do keep in mind that the real value of the rule is where it is located AND that it can be tweaked.

The idea solution would be a rule that is permanently on the table top but if it is "permanent" it can not be tweaked. Because of the nature of this beast - it needs to be tweaked.

I misunderstood your problem. I have no photos that would help. No images to follow.

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

There are two versions of the 520 front rails. When they went with the magnetic scales, they added a little ledge that holds the magnetic strip. If
you have older front rails without the magnetic strip, the scales themselves will have no place to sit.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!