Power Pro is installed

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Power Pro is installed

Post by masonsailor2 »

I did the PP upgrade today. All went pretty well and the time frames the mother ship gives is pretty acuurate. I agree with everyone the first thing you notice is the lack of noise. Murphy's law struck on the very last step. I went to put the nameplate on the headstock and as I am pressing it in I hear a tinkle as the spring disengaged from the plate and gently cascaded to the bottom. Oh well. Hopefully it made it to the motor pan and will be easy to get. Tomorrow's another day. Put the stickers on and retrieve the spring.
Paul
Attachments
IMG_3937.JPG
IMG_3937.JPG (215.71 KiB) Viewed 12989 times
rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Power Pro is installed

Post by rjent »

masonsailor2 wrote:I did the PP upgrade today. All went pretty well and the time frames the mother ship gives is pretty acuurate. I agree with everyone the first thing you notice is the lack of noise. Murphy's law struck on the very last step. I went to put the nameplate on the headstock and as I am pressing it in I hear a tinkle as the spring disengaged from the plate and gently cascaded to the bottom. Oh well. Hopefully it made it to the motor pan and will be easy to get. Tomorrow's another day. Put the stickers on and retrieve the spring.
Paul
That powerhead is night and day over the Mark V. I do still have some reservations still because of my failure, but I think the general reliability is as good as the Mark V, it just needs to be proven to me.

Have fun, you will notice the power as much as anything .... :)
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Sailor
On the PP you can remove the motor pan without removing the motor. You will probably find the spring in there
Bill V
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

That is my hope. Won't be back home until Wed so it will sit for a day or so.
Paul
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

masonsailor2 wrote: as I am pressing it in I hear a tinkle as the spring disengaged from the plate and gently cascaded to the bottom. O
Paul
I am confused as I don't remember a spring attached to a plate. Can someone help me out? Is this the wire retainer clip that attaches to the inside of the headstock to hold switch wire?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

The SS name plate on the back side of the headstock came attached in at least two options. Some were held on by a piece of spring steel on the back which allows for snapping it in place. Others have a pin and a screw on opposite sides of the plate. This machine has the piece of spring steel which broke loose. It's about 1/4" X 3" so it won't be hard to find.
Paul
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

charlese wrote:
masonsailor2 wrote: I went to put the nameplate on the headstock and as I am pressing it in I hear a tinkle as the spring disengaged from the plate and gently cascaded to the bottom. O
Paul
I am confused as I don't remember a spring attached to a plate. Can someone help me out? Is this the wire retainer clip that attaches to the inside of the headstock to hold switch wire?
I believe he is referring to the nameplate on the back side of the headstock that covers the access hole.
nameplatespring.jpg
nameplatespring.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 12879 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

You can see the spring clip on item 46
Paul
Attachments
IMG_3941.JPG
IMG_3941.JPG (63.47 KiB) Viewed 12879 times
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Congratulations!
I do not see a PP in the near future for me.
I would have the budget for it, but being in Canada with the situation that we have between Shopsmith and us (the customer) it is comlicated.
I would certainly go for a Refurbished PowerPro Headstock and would keep my original one in case of problems.
The Canadian $ is too low right now, so it is one of the big deciding factor. It adds 25%+
Anyway just thinking out loud....
I am glad of all the success stories out there with the PP.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

There seems to be some thing missing in the picture,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh yea,,,,,,,,,,,,,, saw dust!!

LOL

Looks good.

Congrads!!

Hobbyman2
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)