510/520 table connector tube length

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Re: 510/520 table connector tube length

Post by reible »

Keep in mind that the shopsmith tubes are plated to prevent rust and things like DOM are not. Another option is stainless steel for corrosion prevention.

Some place back in my notes I was looking at tubing that is for ships, nice stainless (Type 304 Stainless Steel with Super Buff Finish) and came in 5 foot lengths, .065 (16ga) wall and at the time 6.95 a foot. The cost was $69.50 plus shipping to my zip of $11.48. $89.98 for the pair.

I did not order them but I'm sure you can find as good a deal if not better if you look around. I would not think untreated steel is a good idea, if you do you want something with high nickel/chromium content not a plain carbon steel.

But do as you like.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:After googling the address, I realize I been there before!

So what does that mean?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:Keep in mind that the shopsmith tubes are plated to prevent rust and things like DOM are not. Another option is stainless steel for corrosion prevention.

Some place back in my notes I was looking at tubing that is for ships, nice stainless (Type 304 Stainless Steel with Super Buff Finish) and came in 5 foot lengths, .065 (16ga) wall and at the time 6.95 a foot. The cost was $69.50 plus shipping to my zip of $11.48. $89.98 for the pair.

I did not order them but I'm sure you can find as good a deal if not better if you look around. I would not think untreated steel is a good idea, if you do you want something with high nickel/chromium content not a plain carbon steel.

But do as you like.

Ed
OK, $70 for half the wall thickness and 5' lengths priced when?. Their 1" dia by .120 wall 304 stainless is $103 for two 6' lengths. Sounds good to me. I know shipping but we will see.
Last edited by jsburger on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:

So what does that mean?
It means only that I have previously been a customer of theirs.

Easy to deal with - walk in - specify what I wanted - paid - went out to the 'shop' and watched them cut to length - put in car and drove home. No hassle!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:

So what does that mean?
It means only that I have previously been a customer of theirs.

Easy to deal with - walk in - specify what I wanted - paid - went out to the 'shop' and watched them cut to length - put in car and drove home. No hassle!!!
So a satisfied customer. Good to know. It looks like SS tubes will be on the way.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Same price I got before. Take a look here:

http://www.sailrite.com/Thick-Wall-Tubi ... all-Tubing

In the note box enter 5 (for 5 feet) and in the quantity box enter 2. You can enter your zip to get a shipping estimate.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I have a pair of these and am very happy with them. They are high quality T304 polished stainless steel so rust is never an issue. They have .083 wall thickness so they are quite rigid.

https://www.grainger.com/product/Tubing ... Pid=search
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

dynabase wrote:So 3/4 Rigid is the way to go.
At first, I would have agreed (because of a lack of other information), but now I don't think so. Missing in this discussion has been the actual I.D. of the fence rails. Looking back at a recent thread started by JPG (https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 19808.html), perhaps the I.D.'s of the fence rails need to be clearly stated, and then any alternatives to the SS connecting tubes (or other suppliers of 1" O.D. tubing) can be better judged.

If these dimensions are not correct, someone please chime in:
SS Connecting Tubes: 1" O.D.
SS 510 Fence Rails (earlier or older version): 1.012" I.D.
SS 510 Fence Rails (later or newer version): 1.060" I.D. (Corrected 4/18/17)

If these dimensions are correct, then 3/4" EMT @ 0.922" O.D. looks to be the safest bet for all 510 models. 3/4" IMC @ 1.029" O.D. or 3/4" Rigid @ 1.050" O.D. MIGHT work if you have the newer 510 version rails with their slightly larger I.D. of 1.060". (Edited 4/18/17)

Missing from this also is what is the maximum size circular opening inside of the 520's extruded fence rail. Thanks to Dusty for his drawing of 520 Extruded Rails which indicate a maximum opening of 1.031" (1-1/32"). (Edited 4/18/17)

I don't think anyone would disagree that a true 1" O.D. tube would be ideal, in some sort of corrosion resistant material or finish, but having other less expensive options such as conduit is also a good thing for many users.
Last edited by br549 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't know why it makes a difference since the extension tubes with a 1" OD fit into either the old or new table rails but the ID of my 510 rails is 1.061".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

dusty wrote:... the ID of my 510 rails is 1.061".
I forget .. are yours the older or the newer version?

That's considerably more than I had deduced from JPG's other post for either version. Curious and anxious to hear what other 510 owners' are.