Bandsaw Wheel

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

oldc6
Gold Member

Re: Bandsaw Wheel

Post by oldc6 »

Agale said it right . Lip front and back of wheel.

Area in between lips is groove, depression or whatever?????

Area is flat and is machined not cast.........

The tire comes about to the top of the lip...
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

On my vintage bandsaw the wheels have a edge on both sides. In a lot of places it hard to see but since the tire is not on perfectly upon rotation it appears and can be felt with a fingernail.
20171221_122808_resized.jpg
20171221_122808_resized.jpg (156.62 KiB) Viewed 6582 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
alberrt
Bronze Member

Post by alberrt »

This afternoon I replaced my 8 year old poly tires on my Magna band saw with the rubber tires with the help of some of the comments on this post. The groves are on the wheels on these older Magna saws. I will upload a picture with this post and hopefully it will show. My grandfather purchased this saw for his shopsmith in the mid 50's. His shopsmith is still going in my garage with a new motor and 520 table. I have his invoice where he bought it in 1952 for $269.50 at M.O'Neil Co. in Akron, Oh. The rubber lasted on the bandsaw from new until I replaced it with poly about 8 yrs ago. The poly recently started slipping on the wheel and coming off after a few minutes of cutting; so I went back to what seems to work.

Hope the picture shows.
Magna BandSaw wheel grooves
Magna BandSaw wheel grooves
IMG_0711.jpg (163.65 KiB) Viewed 6505 times
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

My'N did that. I ordered a new set of tires , while I was waiting for them I needed the band saw so I used windshield glue on the old one thinking maybe it would get me by or a few days , bonds any rubber to any metal,lol hasn't came loose since ,3 years ago or so ,,,, I still have the new ones just waiting in the old ones to finally go bad.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

alberrt wrote:This afternoon I replaced my 8 year old poly tires on my Magna band saw with the rubber tires with the help of some of the comments on this post. The groves are on the wheels on these older Magna saws. I will upload a picture with this post and hopefully it will show. My grandfather purchased this saw for his shopsmith in the mid 50's. His shopsmith is still going in my garage with a new motor and 520 table. I have his invoice where he bought it in 1952 for $269.50 at M.O'Neil Co. in Akron, Oh. The rubber lasted on the bandsaw from new until I replaced it with poly about 8 yrs ago. The poly recently started slipping on the wheel and coming off after a few minutes of cutting; so I went back to what seems to work.

Hope the picture shows.IMG_0711.jpg
That's definitely not something I saw on my early 2000s era band saw when I replaced the tires. So at some point those grooves must have been abandoned. Thanks for posting the pic.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Makes me wonder WHY they were grooved.

Surely the tires were not also ribbed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Post by RobertTaylor »

alberrt wrote:This afternoon I replaced my 8 year old poly tires on my Magna band saw with the rubber tires with the help of some of the comments on this post. The groves are on the wheels on these older Magna saws. I will upload a picture with this post and hopefully it will show. My grandfather purchased this saw for his shopsmith in the mid 50's. His shopsmith is still going in my garage with a new motor and 520 table. I have his invoice where he bought it in 1952 for $269.50 at M.O'Neil Co. in Akron, Oh. The rubber lasted on the bandsaw from new until I replaced it with poly about 8 yrs ago. The poly recently started slipping on the wheel and coming off after a few minutes of cutting; so I went back to what seems to work.

Hope the picture shows.IMG_0711.jpg
I have installed tires on three different Shopsmith bandsaws. an old greenie and two early eighties versions. The wheels all looked like this not smooth like the one in old6c's post.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I have a 1998 Band Saw and they are smooth with the lip on the front and rear edges to keep the belt in place. I had a 1985 Band Saw with a 1982 Mark V I refurbished but I didn't have the tires off that one. I wonder if the grooves were to give the glue a better grip.

Alberrt the Band Saw from the mid 1950's must be one of the originals. Nice family keepsake besides a great tool. Are you sure the 1952 invoice is for a Mark 5 and not a Shopsmith Model 10ER? Everything I have read says they were first introduced in the Shopsmith Shavings issue no. 8 and to be announced to the public near the end of March. Issue #8 came out either at the end of 1953 or the very beginning of 1954.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.