Shelix helical head for shopsmith planer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Shelix helical head for shopsmith planer

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Sazerac81 wrote:
ChrisNeilan wrote:
Sazerac81 wrote:Impressive Jack! Years without insert rotation is very impressive!

I am still up in the air, but it seems that most people have outstanding things to say about the shelix branded heads. I do rarely hear negative comments about them so mostly all are quite positive.

Thanks for the input. I imagine, I would achieve similar to even better results based on the beefier cutter head of the SS pro planer and variable feed motor. Hmmmm. I am so very tempted.

I just find it odd that I haven't read much in the way of other SSers loading their pro planers with the shelix heads since they are readily available and fairly priced.

Cheers,
John
That's because we're a frugal bunch! :)
Said the man with all the expensive toys. :D
Well, I haven't ordered a laser engraver or a CNC machine!!! :D (yet!)
That reminds me, have to add the 24" Flatmaster sander to the list!!!
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
MarcLevine
Bronze Member

Post by MarcLevine »

I recently installed a Shelix cutterhead on my planer, and it works great. The cut is very smooth, and it is significantly quieter.
Installation was fairly easy. After removing the top and side covers,the original cutterhead can be pulled out by removing the bearing support (on the side without the feed motor). Then was then able to insert the new cutterhead and reattach the bearing support. I ordered the cutterhead with new bearings, and did not have to pull the old ones.
No more sharpening and resetting the knives!
Cutterhead installed1.jpg
Cutterhead installed1.jpg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

I can’t speak for the SS version but have used Shelix cutter heads on other machines in a production environment and loved them. The cutters last forever. I rotated them a few times over the years but I don’t think we ever actually replaced them. I have the SS planer and so far the blades remain sharp. I will not sharpen them. At that point I will replace the cutter head. My only regret is that the SS jointer has a fixed outfeed table that prevents the use of a spiral cutterhead.
Paul
RetiredNavyChief
Gold Member

Post by RetiredNavyChief »

First time posting but long time Shopsmith owner and forum guest. Bought my Mark V in 1979 and upgraded it to a Mark 7. Have all the SPTs except the Scroll saw. Three of my projects are in the Shopsmith catalog. The bank truck and bowls on Page 4 and the cradle on the inside back cover. I contemplated buying a Powermatic 15" Planer with Byrd SHELIX Helical Cutterhead; however, finally decided to upgrade my Shopsmith planer with a Shelix cutter head. Ordered part number 555082 with new bearings on February 1, 2018 and received it on February 8th. Even though the planer is over 30 years old, model number 505590 mounted on its own stand the cutter head fit perfectly. Extremely quiet and the finish was super smooth.
PowerPro, 500 Shopsmith,Jointer, Bandsaw, Belt Sander, JointMatic, 16/32 Performax Drum Sander, Strip Sander, Shopsmith Planer with Shelix Cutterhead, Shopsmith Pin Router, King 16 inch Scroll Saw
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Thanks for the update Chief. That cutter head is definitely on the list.
Paul