Auxiliary spindle shaft guard

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Auxiliary spindle shaft guard

Post by jsburger »

stew wrote:I have a new PP headstock and it came with the holes already in. I agree with Dusty, that thing was a pain so I sold the spindle guard. I would not drill into your headstock if I were you.
I talked to Mike Young about that a few years ago at a Lowe's demo. It is required by safety regulations in some countries othe than the US. Same with the band saw cover knobs. They were replaced with screws that you need an allen wrench to remove. The knobs make it too easy to remove the cover. And we think we have some dumb safety rules. :eek:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
ScottyBox
Gold Member

Post by ScottyBox »

Thanks for all the help folks.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

I guess I'm swimming against the tide on this one, but I like the spindle guard on my 500. Just a little extra level of security. I will say, though, that after I installed it it dawned on me that I would need the quill twister. Which I bought and yes it took some getting used to. Worth it for a little extra safety? Depends on the individual I guess.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edflorence wrote:I guess I'm swimming against the tide on this one, but I like the spindle guard on my 500. Just a little extra level of security. I will say, though, that after I installed it it dawned on me that I would need the quill twister. Which I bought and yes it took some getting used to. Worth it for a little extra safety? Depends on the individual I guess.
I guess so. We have existed without it since 1947 so...
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am curious how 'handy' the guard is when one desires to mount something other than the hub to the shaft.

Does it need to be removed first?

Also how often did one rotate the shafts without the twister before the guard?

I made a twister, but have never actually used it!(I had a broken coupler that I refused to discard :D )
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I use the hub regularly as a procedural thing to make certain that the shaft turns freely. I do this whenever I change anything that might interfere with shaft rotation (change a zci, move the table or carriage, adjust the quill).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ScottyBox
Gold Member

Post by ScottyBox »

Most of our grandchildren are older, but we still have a 7 year old granddaughter, and just got a new great granddaughter, so I'm going to go ahead and install it for my feeling of safety sake.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ScottyBox wrote:Most of our grandchildren are older, but we still have a 7 year old granddaughter, and just got a new great granddaughter, so I'm going to go ahead and install it for my feeling of safety sake.
I would instill the notion of them never touching until told they are allowed to.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The new Belt Covers have the holes already in them. The Belt Cover is part # 50423801 same as the previous number without the guard holes. The website still shows the old cover without the guard holes. The Mark 7 Manual shows the cover with the guard holes. I upgraded my 520 to a Mark 7 but still have not added the shaft guard and have not decided for sure if I will. I have not see a new cover to see how the screws are secured but I will use blind nuts in the cover to attach the guard if I do add it. I hope this is helpful as a way to install it.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chapmanruss wrote:The new Belt Covers have the holes already in them. The Belt Cover is part # 50423801 same as the previous number without the guard holes. The website still shows the old cover without the guard holes. The Mark 7 Manual shows the cover with the guard holes. I upgraded my 520 to a Mark 7 but still have not added the shaft guard and have not decided for sure if I will. I have not see a new cover to see how the screws are secured but I will use blind nuts in the cover to attach the guard if I do add it. I hope this is helpful as a way to install it.
I don't think there are blind nuts on the new Power Pro belt cover. I bought a full up head stock in Dec 2012 and was deliversd in Jan 2013.

I just went out and took the pictures of the screw. The belt cover is very robust and steel not aluminum. I don't see a problem with the screws. The guard is not an item subject to stress and if you take it off and on all the time maybe you should just leave it off. After all we have lived without it for close to 70 years.

Sorry, the first picture is out of focus.
Attachments
20181019_180455.jpg
20181019_180455.jpg (80.66 KiB) Viewed 13205 times
20181019_180533.jpg
20181019_180533.jpg (70.67 KiB) Viewed 13205 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT