Dado Blade Instructions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Dado Blade Instructions

Post by beeg »

bainin wrote:i cant see it well enough to understand the tooth orientation :)

thank you

Can you feel the tooth orientation?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Not in the diagram in the book !

But yes-on the blade itself I can.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Full Disclosure: I do not have a set to have in hand to examine.

However I think that however they are to be set up with chippers between them is the same way they should be set up without chippers.

Do not the tooth bevel angles alternate between 'groups of teeth'(between deep gullets)?

If there is set in the teeth, they must be stacked so the teeth do not interfere with teeth in the other blade.

I believe blades in question do have alternating tooth bevel and tooth set.

If so one 'group' of teeth will both bevel/'set' to the right and the next group of teeth will both bevel/'set' to the left.

Lastly they must be mounted so the correct rotation direction occurs for both blades.

Other than that above anything else looked at may lead to confusion.

The way I 'see' it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

If they mentioned tooth breakage they were probably talking about dados with carbide cutters. The Shopsmith dado set would be very difficult to break a tooth on. If you look at the photo of Brenda's Freud dado set carbide cutters you can see why slippage could cause breakage.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This is likely NOT the dado set that you have but I believe it still answers the question of blade orientation in a dado set.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cat ... kedset.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zTLncQaKWw

I went one step further and found my dado set (purchased many years ago from Shopsmith though it is marked as Freud). I believe it clearly shows that image III depicts the proper setup. Hope this helps without confusing the issue.
20190727_050834[1].jpg
20190727_050834[1].jpg (692.37 KiB) Viewed 11455 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

Here's a photo of how mine is configured. It may be wrong but does a great job. I was always told to never stack them together with the same tooth pattern side by side so my cutters are lined up with the rakers.
Attachments
Dado.jpg
Dado.jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 11443 times