Mark VII Idler Shaft moves in Idler Shaft Sheave

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

redleg
Gold Member

Mark VII Idler Shaft moves in Idler Shaft Sheave

Post by redleg »

Mark VII Idler Shaft Issue.PNG
Mark VII Idler Shaft Issue.PNG (47.46 KiB) Viewed 7508 times
I am having a problem with my Mark VII idler shaft moving in and out of the idler shaft sheave. The idler sheave on the Mark 5/V has a retaining clip that holds the sheave on the shaft. This Mark VII does not. The set screw holding the bearings inside the idler shaft is tight. I thought about machining the shaft to accept a retaining clip or adding a set screw on the poly v side of the sheave. Anyone already have an alternate work around or had the same issue.
IMG_0333 resized.jpg
IMG_0333 resized.jpg (84.6 KiB) Viewed 7508 times
IMG_0333 resized.jpg
IMG_0333 resized.jpg (84.6 KiB) Viewed 7508 times
Attachments
IMG_0332 resized.jpg
IMG_0332 resized.jpg (112.24 KiB) Viewed 7508 times
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mark VII Idler Shaft moves in Idler Shaft Sheave

Post by JPG »

M VII IDLER SHAFT BEARING RETAINER.jpg
M VII IDLER SHAFT BEARING RETAINER.jpg (270.35 KiB) Viewed 7469 times
The setscrew only secures the bearing SPACER.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

JPG wrote:M VII IDLER SHAFT BEARING RETAINER.jpg

The setscrew only secures the bearing SPACER.

I was sure you would have the solution. I’ll try to get it done soon. Thanks Roger
:D Mark 7 Power Pro, Mark V 510, Mark VII (early 1960s) Headstock wall mount drill press on Mark 5 way tubes, Mark 5 Shorty with reversible motor, Overhead Pin Router, Power station with band saw, Jointers, Belt Sanders, Strip Sander, Scroll saw, Jigsaw, Shopsmith Lathe Duplicator, Craftsman 2.5 hp 13" Planer/molder, Craftsman 5 hp 12-inch planer molder, myriad Shopsmith accessories, Harbor Freight sawmill with extensions to cut 22' logs.
redleg
Gold Member

Post by redleg »

Replacing the clip on the idler shaft turned out to be a much easier job than I anticipated. After loosening the belts, removing the retaining screw, and the nut and washer from the idler shaft I was able to lift the bearing block out exposing the shaft.
Where the clip is to be installed on the idler shaft.
Where the clip is to be installed on the idler shaft.
IMG_0339.JPG (104.07 KiB) Viewed 7412 times
Several years ago I picked up a beater Mark VII for the motor. I tore that idler shaft apart before my initial post but couldn't tell there had ever been a slot for the clip hence the original question.
Someone worked this Mark VII until it couldn't give anymore.
Someone worked this Mark VII until it couldn't give anymore.
IMG_0343.JPG (224.51 KiB) Viewed 7412 times
Thanks again JPG for the help.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

redleg wrote:Replacing the clip on the idler shaft turned out to be a much easier job than I anticipated. After loosening the belts, removing the retaining screw, and the nut and washer from the idler shaft I was able to lift the bearing block out exposing the shaft.

$matches[2]

Several years ago I picked up a beater Mark VII for the motor. I tore that idler shaft apart before my initial post but couldn't tell there had ever been a slot for the clip hence the original question.

IMG_0343.JPG

Thanks again JPG for the help.
Ah yes. I also have one of those boogered shafts. :( Bought it hoping to get a backup. Buyer beware!!! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange