Mk 5 ER?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sryoder
Gold Member

Mk 5 ER?

Post by sryoder »

Just spitballin' here. One of the things I've always disliked about both Mk 5s I've owned is that they are too damn tall. I'm only 5'3" so if the saw table is raised high enough to cut, say, a 3/8" deep dado, the table is hitting me mid-to-upper-torso. Not a good height to maintain downward pressure on the workpiece, among other issues. So, after seeing a few photos of 10ERs I got to thinking (a dangerous endeavor, I know), What if I were to take my Mk 5 off of the sheet metal legs and mount it onto a custom built bench/cabinet made the right height so that I don't have to stand on a stool to operate the saw safely (not sure how safe it is to stand on a stool while running the saw but...). Retractable casters could be incorporated into the design so that I'd still maintain portablility. My "shop" is a one-car carport so I'm definitely hurting for space. Thank goodness Arizona weather is so cooperative.

So, anyone know of this being done before? Any photos? Any obvious pitfalls that I'd need to plan for or that would render the idea completely un-doable? Like I say, just spitballin' right now. Haven't even been outside to look at my SS yet to see if it looks feasible since this idea just came to me late last night.

-Steve
-Steve Yoder, Mark V Model 500
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Mk 5 ER?

Post by beeg »

Another option is leave the SS legs alone and build a platform to stand on.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Like this

This is shortened length as well

Shopsmith sells a Shop Deputy Kit to do this, so read about it and you could do this to suit your needs without buying the Shop Deputy conversion

Everett
C0D5B6FE-9935-407D-BCB1-ACC77BF9586C.jpeg
C0D5B6FE-9935-407D-BCB1-ACC77BF9586C.jpeg (114.23 KiB) Viewed 10380 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I think a platform is a good idea at least to start with. I'm 5'8" and the height works fine for me but you might want to see what feels right to you.

Using say 2 x 6's with some decking might be good as a starting point. You can also build in some storage so the space would not be wasted. If need be attach some wheels that can be deployed to get it out the way when not in use. It need not be the full length of the shopsmith so if around 4' it could also slide under for storage.

I built a stage for the kids way back when, when it finished it life as a stage we had it in our bedroom for a while for a height feature but in the end I had to take it apart and so it no longer exists but I sometimes wish I had saved it and passed it, so that the grand kids could have enjoyed it. It was 2 x 4's with fir decking, if I recall it was about 4' x 6' or perhaps 8'. I was still able to life and move it so that was a plus when we changed homes and again later when it moved rooms.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
stew
Gold Member

Post by stew »

I think taking the legs off and making a platform specific to your needs is a great idea. I would design the base to incorporate the SS caster system. I think that system is far better than locking casters. I took a pair of the SS casters and attached them to my heavy workbench.I don't move it much but when I do the SS caster system works great. My experience with locking casters is that they always move a little. Good Luck and pictures of what you come up with please.
sryoder
Gold Member

Post by sryoder »

beeg wrote:Another option is leave the SS legs alone and build a platform to stand on.
My main problem with the platform is that, due to the very limited amount of space I have to work in, nothing has a permanent spot. When I need the SS I wheel it out of the closet and use it. Then I need to put it away so that I'll have someplace to set up my planer, etc. Having a platform would just add one more item that needed to be stored/deployed.
sryoder
Gold Member

Post by sryoder »

I looked at my SS today and can see that I would need to drill large holes in each end of the base's top in order to allow the auxiliary table to be lowered all the way since its "legs" extend below the lower way tube (not sure if I have the terminology of the tubes correct). But that wouldn't be a biggie. What is a little more problematic is being able to lower the saw table since it's "legs" also extend lower then the lower tube. I have a couple ideas but they're hard to describe. I'll see if I can draw them up and post them as a jpg.
sryoder
Gold Member

Post by sryoder »

everettdavis wrote:Like this

This is shortened length as well

Shopsmith sells a Shop Deputy Kit to do this, so read about it and you could do this to suit your needs without buying the Shop Deputy conversion
Yeah, that's basically what I have in mind. I'll do a little research on the Shop Deputy. Thanks.
sryoder
Gold Member

Post by sryoder »

stew wrote:I think taking the legs off and making a platform specific to your needs is a great idea. I would design the base to incorporate the SS caster system. I think that system is far better than locking casters. I took a pair of the SS casters and attached them to my heavy workbench.I don't move it much but when I do the SS caster system works great. My experience with locking casters is that they always move a little. Good Luck and pictures of what you come up with please.
If I can salvage the casters, it would be great. They do work well and I hate to mothball them and replace them with something else if I can make them work. And I will be sure to post photos of whatever I decide to do. Thanks for the help.
sryoder
Gold Member

Post by sryoder »

Hey! FWIW, I just realized that I don't even need the lower tubes if I do a "Deputy-style" conversion.