WHERE to drill the holes?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi guys,

Remember back to your shop class in HS?

I think these might refresh your memories.

[ATTACH]2987[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2988[/ATTACH]

For the three across use the scale at 12" edge to edge, then mark at 3", 6" and 9".

For the 4 the other way use the scale at 15" and mark at 3", 6", 9" and 12".

BINGO!

Sometimes there is a time for math and sometime use one of those tricks from your youth.

Ed
Attachments
three across.jpg
three across.jpg (364.4 KiB) Viewed 5631 times
by 4 the other way.jpg
by 4 the other way.jpg (358.6 KiB) Viewed 5628 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
RonnyL
Bronze Member

Post by RonnyL »

Hey Dusty,

Thanks for the heads up. I will go download that Sketchup program right now. Maybe an old dog can still learn a new trick.
Knowledge gained but not shared is knowledge lost

Ronny
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

FWIW, the pounding benches that I remember from my youth had dadoed end blocks.

if you are going to dado the end blocks, don't forget to subtract twice the depth of the dado from the length of the available board when you do the layout.

making the gap between the end blocks and the closest pegs a little bigger than the peg-to-peg spacing is not a bad thing. that makes it easier to hit the pegs without hitting the end block.
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

reible wrote:Hi guys,

Remember back to your shop class in HS?

I think these might refresh your memories.

[ATTACH]2987[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2988[/ATTACH]

For the three across use the scale at 12" edge to edge, then mark at 3", 6" and 9".

For the 4 the other way use the scale at 15" and mark at 3", 6", 9" and 12".

BINGO!

Sometimes there is a time for math and sometime use one of those tricks from your youth.

Ed
That is a pretty cool trick, Ed! My shop teachers never gave me that one. We always had to do the math.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Shop Trick

Post by JPG »

a1gutterman wrote:That is a pretty cool trick, Ed! My shop teachers never gave me that one. We always had to do the math.
Tim Too bad it won't work for gutters!!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

jpg40504 wrote:Tim Too bad it won't work for gutters!!:rolleyes:
Yes, oh well. I do know one or two tricks about them though. Compound corners are knot the same on a gutter, as they are with wood! :D
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Compound Corners

Post by JPG »

a1gutterman wrote:Yes, oh well. I do know one or two tricks about them though. Compound corners are knot the same on a gutter, as they are with wood! :D
The material is Soooo thin, how can it be a 'compound' mitre???:p
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

iclark wrote:FWIW, the pounding benches that I remember from my youth had dadoed end blocks.

if you are going to dado the end blocks, don't forget to subtract twice the depth of the dado from the length of the available board when you do the layout.
Good catch there iclark!!:D He will be needing that extra space.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

Hi everyone,

For anyone following this thread and searching their memories about what a Pounding Bench is all about, here is a link to the Shopsmith plan. It also contains some ideas on the other essential item; The mallet! :D

This is another timeless toy, Beeg I'm sure that your granddaughter will love it! :)

http://www.freekidsbenchplans.com/

Regards to all,

Dennis
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

iclark wrote:if you are going to dado the end blocks, don't forget to subtract twice the depth of the dado from the length of the available board when you do the layout.
Thanks for the reminder, but THIS TIME I did remember to subtract the dado depth. The board is actually .75 inches longer than stated.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob