Retractable casters AND raise the height

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kmpres
Bronze Member

Retractable casters AND raise the height

Post by kmpres »

Hi guys, new member here. I have a Shopsmith Mark 510 that I bought new way back in 1986. A year later my employer sent me to Japan and I wasn't about to leave my Shopsmith behind so I took it with me - at their expense of course. I'm still in Japan and so is my Shopsmith, and it's quite possibly the only one in the country.

It's been a constant friend, and I've kept it upgraded over the years installing, among other things, larger casters and a power headstock conversion, but it's always had one problem. It's legs are too short for my 6'2" height and that makes it quite difficult for me to do any lathe turning. I need a way to raise the height of the machine just a few inches while still allowing it to roll around my tiny shop floor on casters.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you solve it? Simply putting the machine on blocks would raise the height but that would not allow the casters to extend far enough to move it around the floor.

Thanks for your help!
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Retractable casters AND raise the height

Post by Hobbyman2 »

In our case my wife is around 5" , we made a platform for her to stand on .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I'm short and the Shopsmith table is too high (to be comfortable) for me. I guess that disqualifies me but I know of no other way to raise the quill height than putting some sort of risers under the legs (wheels).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I am 6'0" tall so I share your frustration for lathe operation. I don't have any good answers for you though. You may want to check out some of the ideas in the thread below regarding raising/lowering the height of your Shopsmith equipment. Personally, I would really like to have something like an autoquip lift (https://autoquip.com/products/scissor-l ... series-35/) where I could easily raise/lower my Mark V depending on the operation at hand. Unfortunately those aren't cheap. IF you primarily do lathe operation only, then you could consider to build a cabinet to replace the legs. Another alternative that has been suggested on the forum before is to build a small platform that the Shopsmith casters can roll up onto for lathe operation, but when doing tablesaw, e.g. you roll it off to lower the height. See JPG's comments on the 2nd link below.

viewtopic.php?p=265418#p265418

viewtopic.php?p=265528#p265528
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:59 am I am 6'0" tall so I share your frustration for lathe operation. I don't have any good answers for you though. You may want to check out some of the ideas in the thread below regarding raising/lowering the height of your Shopsmith equipment. Personally, I would really like to have something like an autoquip lift (https://autoquip.com/products/scissor-l ... series-35/) where I could easily raise/lower my Mark V depending on the operation at hand. Unfortunately those aren't cheap. IF you primarily do lathe operation only, then you could consider to build a cabinet to replace the legs. Another alternative that has been suggested on the forum before is to build a small platform that the Shopsmith casters can roll up onto for lathe operation, but when doing tablesaw, e.g. you roll it off to lower the height. See JPG's comments on the 2nd link below.

viewtopic.php?p=265418#p265418

viewtopic.php?p=265528#p265528
Excellent idea! If the cabinet was build with an adjustable table height, it could solve my dilemma as well.

Now you have me thinking about setting my Shopsmith (without legs) on my Husky Work Bench which is adjustable.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jmoore65
Gold Member

Post by jmoore65 »

What about building a box to go between the legs and the base mounts?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

Instead of raising the Shopsmith for Lathe operations have you considering lowering yourself? I am 6' 2" also and find sitting on a stool to work well. Also it is more comfortable sitting with my bad back than standing in one place for any length of time.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I’m 6’3”, so my 520 table-saw height is great for me, but the lathe height is too low. I’m thinking that when I get around to installing the new upgraded casters, I’ll keep the brackets at their existing mounting height, and devise some “feet” to mount beneath the legs.

But this got me wondering: if you have the double-tilt upgrade (which I don’t), could removable riser blocks be designed for optional installation at the tilt points?
kgfaro
Gold Member

Post by kgfaro »

How about 2 dollies with locking casters seems simplistic but it's s cheap way to go with little change just bolt them to the legs
GentlemanAdventurer
Silver Member

Post by GentlemanAdventurer »

I'm 6'5", and yes using the lathe is painful. I've used a tall stool in the past, and sat on it/leaned against it. Works ok for smaller projects.

Here are a couple of ideas I've contemplated. one is buying an extra set of legs off ebay or something and bolting or riveting them inside the current set about 6 inches down from the top, move wheels to new extension. Add some bracing (wood or metal between the new and old sides and it should be fairly stable at rest. Maybe a little top heavy when moving.

2nd idea; Build a 2x6 or 8 box to raise the SS. Angled in the front for some foot relief, or a cutaway of the front beam, for fool relief. Add after market removable casters to the outside of the box. Something like this: :https://www.rockler.com/rockler-workben ... ase-plates
Building the box option could allow you to add sand or gravel to the base. If you bolted the SS to the base, it could add some vibration dampening when turning larger objects.

Good luck. Keep us posted to your mods.
Keith
Death before Decaf!