Retractable casters AND raise the height

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

GentlemanAdventurer
Silver Member

Re: Retractable casters AND raise the height

Post by GentlemanAdventurer »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:38 pm I’m 6’3”, so my 520 table-saw height is great for me, but the lathe height is too low. I’m thinking that when I get around to installing the new upgraded casters, I’ll keep the brackets at their existing mounting height, and devise some “feet” to mount beneath the legs.

But this got me wondering: if you have the double-tilt upgrade (which I don’t), could removable riser blocks be designed for optional installation at the tilt points?
I've contemplated the feet and keeping the current wheel setting idea, I was wondering if anybody had done it yet.

I have the double tilt, have to look into that. Good idea!!
Keith
Death before Decaf!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I suggested the stool for lathe work since, for myself, it has worked out very well. For the other basic functions of the Table Saw, Drill Press, Horizontal Boring and Disk Sanding the height is okay. The same is true for using the SPT's mounted on my Mark's although I like using a taller stool for Scroll and Jig Saw work. There have been threads before talking about adjusting the Shopsmith's height for the operators varying needs. I understand this need on a case by case basis. We have a member who loves working on his Shopsmith from his wheelchair. In his case there are special considerations for using the different functions of the Shopsmith. Lately he has been making some bird houses and has some lathe turning coming up. We are not all the same height so raising the Shopsmith or lowering it, raising or lowering oneself to work more comfortably can be a necessity and even a safety consideration. In my case it is simpler to lower myself for one function than to have to adjust the Shopsmith to different heights for the different functions.

I find the idea of a spacer of sorts added to the double tilt ends to raise the working part higher an interesting one. There would be a stability issue to consider and how would the spacers be inserted and removed. I have a double tilt on my upgraded to a Mark 7 but also have the lift assist which presents an additional consideration. Raising and lowering the legs somehow has been a popular idea. To my view anything short of powered adjustable legs will add muscle effort to changing the height and something my back is just not able to do anymore.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

https://web.archive.org/web/20151002143 ... binet.html
This link to the way back machine still pulls a webpage and pictures for a shop built hydraulic raising bench. Also here is a post that is more about lowering the shopsmith but has lots of good information and ideas. viewtopic.php?p=162238#p162238. Here is another discussing machine height. viewtopic.php?p=240655#p240655.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?