SSUG still active?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rcoder
Gold Member

Ssug

Post by rcoder »

Aaahhh, a work in progress. Graphics now show up.

Bob
W3DRM
Gold Member

Post by W3DRM »

dusty wrote:I don't know. I thought I did but no. I did a PM to the administrator with your question.

Thanks Dusty - I thought I was already a member but it doesn't recognize my email address or any usernames I would use for such an account.

I suspect he is still working on getting the site back up with all of the links and things running. Will just watch for a while to see what happens.
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada --- SS 510 (new 2005), Bandsaw, Jointer, Conical & Standard sanding disks, & DC3300
Carson Valley Weather - http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

"Your login is blocked" is what I get when I try to login. If I tell no_script to allow scripts, I also get a pop-up window telling me that.

I can still read the fora but the newest posts look to be 10 days old.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

How do you register on the forum? I've tried the hot button on the forum page for new member registration but it does not seem to be working?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dcottrill wrote:How do you register on the forum? I've tried the hot button on the forum page for new member registration but it does not seem to be working?
Considering all the other apparent problems they are having, why does this NOT surprise me?:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:I'm sorry Ed but I don't see SSUG as any different than Lumberjocks and SMC and onlineshopclasses and finewoodworking and the list goes on and on. They are all good places to go for ideas and to gather knowledge relative to woodworking and (if one so desires) post ones own thoughts.

They each have good points and bad points.

Is this the only woodworking site you visit? (Rhetorical Question - No Response Expected)

To Each His Own.
Dusty
I must disagree, Lumberjocks, SMC and etc are oriented toward wood working. This forum, SSUG and the yahoo group are specifically for Shopsmith. Why spread this collective knowledge and information over 3 sites when one will surfice?
SSUG needs help financially(looking for donations), Yahoo is oppressive in structure while this Shopsmith forum is free and seems to have a very workable format. So why put information on 3 sites making everyone search through 3 different sites to find the info they are looking for? Now if someone just wants to bad mouth SS then yes we would probably need another site but I would have no reason to go there.
Yes I do visit other woodworking sites but I would prefer the all the collective wisdom about Shopsmiths from the SS forum, the SSUG and the Yahoo group to be centralized in one site and I think this would be the best place.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

And if one day this site is no longer here? How many of you feel that if another belt tightening is needed at shopsmith they wouldn't be at least thinking of saving money by dumping this forum... They did let go of Nick didn't they...

I also know that several people on the other sites are not going to come here, either because they are happy where they are or don't like this site. It is just not going to happen that everyone is going to want to post only here.

So I guess it is another case of having it Ed's way or having it Ed's way... yea Tim I know your going to have it Ed's way again right?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

It seems I already spend too much time on the computer and not enough in the Shop. (about 5 or 6 shop hrs./day) I spend about an hour each day on this site and viewing the references (links) from this site. I learn something each and every day from this forum.

Personally, I would rather spend that hour in the shop, but would then miss out on all the neat stuff contained herein. Go to other sites? No reason, no way, no how!! To me, it would be a waste of my valuable shop time. If there is something really worthwhile on another forum/site, that hasn't been mentioned here - it will be in the future. I can wait!

With another hour consumed on the computer reading the e-mails - believe me that's enough!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

charlese wrote:Personally, I would rather spend that hour in the shop, but would then miss out on all the neat stuff contained herein.

Just think that the time you spend here Chuck. Is just part of the shop time.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

reible wrote:And if one day this site is no longer here? How many of you feel that if another belt tightening is needed at shopsmith they wouldn't be at least thinking of saving money by dumping this forum... They did let go of Nick didn't they...

I also know that several people on the other sites are not going to come here, either because they are happy where they are or don't like this site. It is just not going to happen that everyone is going to want to post only here.

So I guess it is another case of having it Ed's way or having it Ed's way... yea Tim I know your going to have it Ed's way again right?

Ed
Well, yes, I might just do that, but I will admit that I am glad that there are more SS forums, as the thought has crossed my mind (but the ramifications of those thoughts are worrisome) that this site could disappear. At least we wood have someplace else to go.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.