520 rail misalinged?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hfmann
Gold Member

Re: 520 rail misalinged?

Post by hfmann »

Thanks David. I was confused :)

hal
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The missing apart appears to be pressed in into the two vacant holes.
20230217_122340.jpg
20230217_122340.jpg (47.55 KiB) Viewed 779 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

dusty wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:05 pm The missing apart appears to be pressed in into the two vacant holes.

20230217_122340.jpg
Thank you Dusty. You make it super clear.

Now I wonder how the two extra nubbins on the piece in this parts diagram fit. Anxious to hear back from SS engineering on this mystery.

Thanks again,

hal
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (6.63 KiB) Viewed 776 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

hfmann wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:44 pm
dusty wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:05 pm The missing apart appears to be pressed in into the two vacant holes.

20230217_122340.jpg
Thank you Dusty. You make it super clear.

Now I wonder how the two extra nubbins on the piece in this parts diagram fit. Anxious to hear back from SS engineering on this mystery.

Thanks again,

hal
I gave a short moment of thought to removing that part so as to get a better look at it and then decided that would not be smart. I'll just wait either until you can get your replacement part or I need to order one for my own fence.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

dusty wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:03 pm
hfmann wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:44 pm Now I wonder how the two extra nubbins on the piece in this parts diagram fit. Anxious to hear back from SS engineering on this mystery.
I gave a short moment of thought to removing that part so as to get a better look at it and then decided that would not be smart. I'll just wait either until you can get your replacement part or I need to order one for my own fence.
I had the same thought as Dusty. I might have pulled it anyway if I had an order planned, it is only $4 but I don't want to pay the shipping for just that part. My feeling is that the extra nubbins is poor artwork, the drawing looks little like the part in terms of scale.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My 'guess' is the 'nubbins' are split so 4 ends exist. The 'arteest' took he liberty of emphasizing them.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This thread has been very interesting for me and informative.

The location of the infeed end of the rip fence is actually determined by the four black nylon pads on the rip fence, They engage the front rail and would fence is locked the rip fence positioned. The outfeed end of the rip is positioned vertical by "the missing part".

I studied a floating table and a rip fence in my office where I could sit and maneuver the pieces for inspection Backlighting the fence and rail allowed me to get a good look at the points of contact which were not what I had previously thought.

Thank you hfmann and Dave for those lessons.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

JPG wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:21 pm My 'guess' is the 'nubbins' are split so 4 ends exist. The 'arteest' took he liberty of emphasizing them.
Ah ha! That's gotta be it.

Thanks JPG.

Monday I'll call and see if they can combine that piece into an existing order waiting for the item to hit their dock.

cheers everybody,

hal
hfmann
Gold Member

Post by hfmann »

dusty wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:22 am This thread has been very interesting for me and informative.

The location of the infeed end of the rip fence is actually determined by the four black nylon pads on the rip fence, They engage the front rail and would fence is locked the rip fence positioned. The outfeed end of the rip is positioned vertical by "the missing part".

I studied a floating table and a rip fence in my office where I could sit and maneuver the pieces for inspection Backlighting the fence and rail allowed me to get a good look at the points of contact which were not what I had previously thought.

Thank you hfmann and Dave for those lessons.
Thanks Dusty, you've been a big help.

I should note that 99.7% of the time this issue wouldn't seem to cause me a problem. It only came to light when I tried to make a tenoning jig that straddled the fence and rode on the top of the fence. Can't imagine how'd it would affect any of my other woodworking.

thanks all,

hal
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hal, David and Dusty,

This has been informative. What started out as possible Fence Rails being misaligned turns out to be a missing pad on the fence. I checked both of my Pro Fences aka 520/M7 and the pads are all there. Makes me wonder if having a replacement rear pad on hand would be a good idea. I can see it would be the more easily knocked off pad on the fence. Something to add on my next order. In the meantime I'll begin to better watch how I place, remove and store the fence.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.