I was hit by the old saying "The devil is in the details
Thought I was done on the restoration of my Greenie but one members keen eye noticed that I forgot to paint some items
, specifically the miter gauge and table saw angle scales, and the rip fence base. He PM'd me immediately instead of posting to help me save face but I just had to fess up to it. (thanks jpg)
I painted the casting yesterday and I wanted to post some specifics "for the record". I decided to paint these three pieces without first priming them with the self-etching primer. These are the only cast aluminum parts that I didn't prime. As you may recall for my other thread Rustoleum Hammered Paint - To prime or not to prime?
, Rustoleum has conflicting info on whether or not to prime and within the member community, some prime while others don't sooooo, I decided to join the latter group on this one just to see first hand how the long term adhesion will be.
Prior to painting, I masked off the surfaces that I wanted paint free. I did not mask the angle scales on either the miter gauge (aka protractor ref. 271) and table saw component (aka Front Trunnion, part ref 144)
, reason being there is supposed to be paint down inside the numbers and graduation lines. After masking, I sanded the castings with 100 grit sandpaper. I did a real quick job since the breeze was starting to pickup and I wanted to paint outside. If there were any areas I would have done a better job on it would have been the tight inside corners but I did make sure to get a few good scratches in.
I then applied the first coat of spray paint and noticed right away the marginal texture as compare to my other primed parts previously painted. This was the same condition I had seen in my test sample spray I did earlier in this thread
. Wasn't too concerned because I was going to apply 2 coats and knew that I could improve it by applying it thicker on the second coat.
After the first coat dried for 20 minutes, I used a new single edge razor blade to remove the surface paint from the angle scale surfaces. I used a slicing action similar to carving meat to remove the paint from the flat surface while leaving paint down in the depression of the lines and number. This worked pretty good but there were a few areas where the paint came up out of the depression a little. It may be a practice thing but I decided to wait 45 minutes after the second coat was applied. That worked better. The paint was still pliable at that point. After removing the paint from the angle scale surfaces after the second coat, I cleaned the surface off with a rag soaked in acetone that was wrug out real well. I used VERY LIGHT pressure so as to not get down inside the depressons.
Here's the completed miter gage protractor. Looks BRADY NEW!!. (the photo is large since it is actually linked out to an on-line photo storage site called Photobucket. Nice site!)