Bearing Challenge

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rcoder
Gold Member

Bearing Challenge

Post by rcoder »

I need some bearing help. The front bearing on my Emerson motor went bad. I have replaced it. I happened to be a std. alternator bearing. Easy job to do. I thought I would replace the rear while it was open. Wrong. The shaft is 5/8in. which in the bearing world is not common.

I called SS this am and the lady was very knowledge but since it is Emerson I was informed they are very unhelpful.

If I were to go to a bearing company with some numbers who would you suggest.

The rear bearing is OK and probably will last for a very long time but I thought I would stock one just in case.

Bob Coder
Willcox, AZ
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

A favorite resource on the "Old Wood Working Machines" forum is Accurate Bearing Company. I have personally dealt with them to get non-standard bearings for my 1960's Craftsman jointer. They also had a 5/8" bore. I got a pair of them with first class shipping for under $5.

You can call Accurate Bearing Company at 800-323-6548 or 630-543-2100. See if you can talk to Lynn. She works with the members of OWWM forum frequently and keeps a list of numbers of old bearings and their modern equivalents. I gave her the numbers stamped on my old bearings ("Norma XF-121-PP") and she was quickly able to cross reference that with her notes and see that the new bearing was a 6202 with 5/8" bore.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rcoder wrote:I need some bearing help. The front bearing on my Emerson motor went bad. I have replaced it. I happened to be a std. alternator bearing. Easy job to do. I thought I would replace the rear while it was open. Wrong. The shaft is 5/8in. which in the bearing world is not common.

I called SS this am and the lady was very knowledge but since it is Emerson I was informed they are very unhelpful.

If I were to go to a bearing company with some numbers who would you suggest.

The rear bearing is OK and probably will last for a very long time but I thought I would stock one just in case.

Bob Coder
Willcox, AZ

Bob, Do you have the part numbers for the bearings that are installed?

Can you tell who the manufacturer is?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rcoder
Gold Member

Thanks

Post by rcoder »

Thanks Heath.

I will call this morning and keep all posted as to results.

Bob in Willcox
rcoder
Gold Member

Post by rcoder »

Dusty,

They are made in France and the rear number is 6203 VLG.

OD is 1.574
ID is .625 (5/8)

Bob in Willcox
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rcoder wrote:Dusty,

They are made in France and the rear number is 6203 VLG.

OD is 1.574
ID is .625 (5/8)

Bob in Willcox

Thanks Bob.

What about the other one?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rcoder
Gold Member

Post by rcoder »

Dusty,

I replaced the bad front one. It is a std. alternator bearing. Why they couldn't turn the rear shaft the same is beyond me. Then I could have used two std. bearings. As it is the rear one is not standard.

Bob in Willcox
rcoder
Gold Member

Post by rcoder »

Ordered up the rear bearing from Accurate Bearing Company in IL and will be shipped from Irving, TX.

The cost is $1.95 and the shipping and handling will surely exceed that cost.

It was in stock and I should have it in a couple of days.

They have a rep. that deals only with woodwokers. A very nice touch.

Bob in Willcox
rcoder
Gold Member

Post by rcoder »

Ordered bearing from Accurate Bearing Co. on Jan 5 and received it on Jan 8.

This one will go into my inventory to replace the rear bearing on my motor should it fail. That may never happen but....

The total cost was $4.68.

Bob in Willcox
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The bearings are:
Front 6203 ... 17 x 40 x 12 mm IMHO rubber sealed is desirable(this end gets dust).

Rear 6203 ... 5/8" x 40 mm x 12 mm (same except for id) I believe the size of the start switch mechanism is what made 5/8" shaft size necessary.

It is interesting to observe the motor output shaft is 17 mm but is reduced to 5/8" for the pulleys etc. A carry over from 1950's design I assume.

In case y'all have not noticed/realized, most ALL bearings are metric, not 'inch' and inch sizes are produced for replacement purposes only and are a 'modified' metric size. The bearing numbers although slightly varying between manufacturers, are quite similar.

IMHO the dimensions/seals/clearance is the only consistent method of identifying them.

BTW Anyone needing 17 x 40 x 12 mm Double Sealed 'Electric Motor Bearing(s), PM me!

P. S. Not ALL of the motors require the 5/8" rear bearing. Most(?) have the same bearing on both ends(17x40x12mm).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange