Shopsmith planer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SDSSmith wrote:I am just curious, how long has that can of kerosene been in the family?:D

About 10 years. My next door neighbor bought a heater during an extended power outage(caused by ice storm) but SHMBO was scared of it and it never saw a flame. He may have taken the heater back, and they would not take the K1 back(I am guessing here). In any event he asked me if I could use it, and I said sure. Been sitting in the car port ever since. Get into it only occasionally when I need to unseize something or clean paint brushes. Probably about 4 1/3 gal left! i.e. It is a lifetime supply(for me anyway).

Yes the blue WAS darker at one time!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bobw1953
Gold Member

Hammer driver

Post by bobw1953 »

As an Old (very Old) shade tree motor cycle mechanic many of the cap screws were set in aluminum housing and would routinely seem as if they were welded.

The solution is not a pneumatic impact wrench but with a device that you hit with a hammer. With each hit of the hammer the allen head or torx head is driven to rotate. This helps in two ways: one it is nearly impossible to strip the bolt head and second the pounding "vibrates" the bolt just enough to allow it to turn.

Good luck!

Bob
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Yes, they are called Reversible Impact Driver Set. 1/4" drive set at http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-re ... 93481.html There are 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" size impact drivers. I have had all 3 sizes since the 1950s and still use them quite often now for stuck set screws. I use them to really tighten the fan sheave set screw and the Drive Sleeve Pulley set screw. Also excellant for removing the long motor housing bolts with the very small heads. There are many adaptors available for these impact drivers.
bobw1953 wrote:As an Old (very Old) shade tree motor cycle mechanic many of the cap screws were set in aluminum housing and would routinely seem as if they were welded.

The solution is not a pneumatic impact wrench but with a device that you hit with a hammer. With each hit of the hammer the allen head or torx head is driven to rotate. This helps in two ways: one it is nearly impossible to strip the bolt head and second the pounding "vibrates" the bolt just enough to allow it to turn.

Good luck!

Bob
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

billmayo wrote:Yes, they are called Reversible Impact Driver Set. 1/4" drive set at http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-reversible-impact-driver-set-93481.html There are 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" size impact drivers. I have had all 3 sizes since the 1950s and still use them quite often now for stuck set screws. I use them to really tighten the fan sheave set screw and the Drive Sleeve Pulley set screw. Also excellant for removing the long motor housing bolts with the very small heads. There are many adaptors available for these impact drivers.
Think he will figger it out now that TWO links to HF have been 'provided'?:rolleyes:

Glad to see yer back 'online' Bill. Stay out of the shop until yer OK to go back!!!!!!!!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange