disk sander idea

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

I like the $4 idea, especially for occasional use. If you only use it a few times a year it will probably last quite a while.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

This is a very interesting idea.

I am posting as a new Power Pro owner.

I'm finding the Power Pro to be quite an excellent motor, but running the 12" Sanding Disk is "interesting." I suspect the Power Pro electronics speed-control feedback-loop system is very well optimized for table-sawing, drilling, drum-sanding, etc. However, the 12" Steel disk has so much rotational inertia (appreciable mass out to 6" away from center) that it seems to make the motor "dither" around the intended speed. (I studied control-loop theory in school; I suspect that steel-disk inertia makes for a lower loop-gain than for the other modes.) When you add in a small amount of play between drive-sleeve and quill-shaft, the thing can rattle as the speed dithers.

I'm still early in thinking about this, but I'm contemplating:
- Trying a 10" steel sanding disk (knowing the 10" saw blade runs great).
- Trying a 10"-12" lighter-weight homemade disk of sorts.
- Trying an aluminum sanding disk.

I was sort of attuned to this high-inertia fact a couple years ago on my regular Mark V. I made the stupid mistake of starting the machine on "Fast", after service, with the big 12" steel disk on there. The machine went unstable, cycling from slow to fast repeatedly (belt and sheaves moving around), and actually damaged the idler bearing.
Chris
navycop
Gold Member

Post by navycop »

prmindartmouth wrote:I was wandering through a home accessory store following LOML, and noticed a display of charger plates on sale.
What was the name?
Mark V 520, Ryobi 12" mitersaw, Delta 10" tablesaw, DC 3300.
Mike
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Available lots of stores I think, I got mine at TAG locally. Here is their website:

http://www.tagltd.com/index.aspx

I made two of these and they are quite light but have yet to use them in any serious manner.
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

I've been using the 10" Woodcraft steel disk on my benchtop saw for a year and started using it on my 10e and Mark V this summer after getting them. It works well and doesnt seem to deflect. Also, the one I bought has a flat side and a slightly tapered side. Havent used the tapered side yet.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

moggymatt wrote:I've been using the 10" Woodcraft steel disk on my benchtop saw for a year and started using it on my 10e and Mark V this summer after getting them. It works well and doesnt seem to deflect. Also, the one I bought has a flat side and a slightly tapered side. Havent used the tapered side yet.
Tapered side = conical disk??
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Tapered side = conical disk??
Sorta like a Mark 7 I presume.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
eartigas
Gold Member

Woodcraft disk

Post by eartigas »

Sort of conical but not really, see link and reviews from users

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200180 ... sc-10.aspx

Ed
Ed
Carmel, NY
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

eartigas wrote:Sort of conical but not really, see link and reviews from users

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001809/2839/Sanding-Disc-10.aspx

Ed
After reading the description and some of the reviews, I am wondering if they are selling the flat plate style or a dish shape. I would not expect a dish shape based on the description....I would expect a flat plate.:confused:
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SDSSmith wrote:After reading the description and some of the reviews, I am wondering if they are selling the flat plate style or a dish shape. I would not expect a dish shape based on the description....I would expect a flat plate.:confused:
Ditto:confused: Ditto:confused:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange