New Riving Knife

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jonesuh
Gold Member

Post by jonesuh »

i ordered mine---didn't think to ask will it work with the thin kerf blades or just standard blades anybody know ?
dwevans
Gold Member

Post by dwevans »

Looking at the pictures, they have a shopsmith blade with a .098" kerf installed. That would be thin kerf.
Doug

Shopsmith Mark V model 500 upgraded to a model 520, bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Dewalt DW735 planer, Sand Flee
scooters
Gold Member

Post by scooters »

I'm reallly glad that they brought this to market!
Scooters

.. ..-. -.-- --- ..- .- .-. . .-. . .- -.. .. -. --. - .... .. ...
-.-- --- ..- .... .- ...- . - --- --- -- ..- -.-. .... - .. -- .
--- -. -.-- --- ..- .-. .... .- -. -.. ... :rolleyes:
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

Ordered mine yesterday. I have wanted one for a while and like some of you, I couldn't bring myself to drill the table and I don't have the skills or stuff to make one like Dusty's .
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

tomsalwasser wrote:It says "not for use with through cuts" but can you anyway? I would assume so.
While you can use this for through cuts, it's not a good idea as you don't have the anti-kickback pawls that are on the upper saw guard.
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

michaeltoc wrote:While you can use this for through cuts, it's not a good idea as you don't have the anti-kickback pawls that are on the upper saw guard.
To say nothing of the blade being 'uncovered'!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

[quote="JPG40504"]To say nothing of the blade being 'uncovered'!]
BUT the blade is uncovered any time you are set up to do a non-through cut EXCEPT for that very short period of time that you are actually making the cut.

Besides, if you are inclined to operate without the upper saw guard (and I believe many, many are), the blade is uncovered almost all the time.
MarkFive510
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BigSky wrote:BUT the blade is uncovered any time you are set up to do a non-through cut EXCEPT for that very short period of time that you are actually making the cut.

Besides, if you are inclined to operate without the upper saw guard (and I believe many, many are), the blade is uncovered almost all the time.

And then there are those who ain't had a blade guard for almost half a century in the first place(they were an extra cost accessory then) and obviously no riving knife either.

Tis quite possible to survive survive without them. Gotta watch what you are doing ALL the time however!

Not recommended for post boomer generations though!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
allsas
Gold Member

Rememberable Kickbacks

Post by allsas »

The two kickbacks, that I remember, were when I cut grooves in 18 x 21 x 3/4 plywood. One happened when I was reaching for the switch to shut power OFF.

So I will be ordering, to have some safety device to prevent or reinforce safe practices when can't use the blade guard.
MK V 520; MK V 510 w/PP DIY Upgrade; MK 5 500; Jointer; Bandsaw; Sliding Table; Conical Sanding Disk; Sharpening Guide, Lathe Duplicator, Jigsaw, Scrollsaw, Beltsander, Ring Master, Biscuit Joiner.
wildcard
Gold Member

Post by wildcard »

So several of us have ordered them, i was just wondering, does anyone have an idea on when they will ship?